What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.8 Gb "others" content on ipad-2

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has just upgraded her jailbroken 32Gb 3g ipad-2 from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 .. as she wanted to do the 5.0.1 jailbreak

After restoring everything from itunes , she noticed that the "others" content using up her memory about 5.8 Gb, while her apps only 1.58Gb ..

Not much on her photos nor on audio or books .. The highest is her "others" at 5.8 Gb ..

Leavin her free capacity storage now at only 17.8 Gb

Is this some kind a problem needs to be addressed to ? Or is it normal because the 5.0.1 system taken up that much of capacity ??

She wants to jailbreak her 5.0.1, but decide to wait til ahe gets the answer to this

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no helping hand here ?

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the response .. i figure so too .. re install is the best solution .. and also aside from the "other" irregularity, the contact app missing the "edit" and. "+". tab after upgrading .. (which i addressed the issue on a different thread) ..

Going to try to reinstall and let you know the result ..

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
nammi said:
thank you for the response .. i figure so too .. re install is the best solution .. and also aside from the "other" irregularity, the contact app missing the "edit" and. "+". tab after upgrading .. (which i addressed the issue on a different thread) ..

Have a look in ICloud in your Settings to see if your Contacts is turned on here and that should do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fonts and themes from cydia are particularly beefy in terms of megabytes of storage. i'm quite sure your 5.8 gigs is probably cydia stuff.

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ leelai : thank you for giving me the solution to the contact app issue .. It worked

@graywolf & piano man : when you upgrading from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 you lose all your jailbreak contents and tweaks .. so by losing them, is it not the storage usage of "other" would not be as high as 5.8 Gb ,. ?

Or are all those jailbreak still sitting in the storage not entirely gone with the upgrade ? ..

if they are, then i suppose doing a restore should be the option ? .. but plz not the DFU ..

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@graywolf & piano man : when you upgrading from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 you lose all your jailbreak contents and tweaks .. so by losing them, is it not the storage usage of "other" would not be as high as 5.8 Gb ,. ?

Or are all those jailbreak still sitting in the storage not entirely gone with the upgrade ? ..

if they are, then i suppose doing a restore should be the option ? .. but plz not the DFU ..

When you first jailbreak, that "other" shouldn't be so high.

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nammi said:

I was wondering where this "other" is. I checked my storage under settings and couldn't find that.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MIKES3 said:
I was wondering where this "other" is. I checked my storage under settings and couldn't find that.

It's in iTunes on your PC/Mac at the bottom where it shows what's on your iPad.

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
It's in iTunes on your PC/Mac at the bottom where it shows what's on your iPad.

Sweet, thanks for the info

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a note on your next thread, please wait at least 24 hours for a response.

Sent from my jailbroken K48.

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@leelai & graywolf. :

i tried restoring the ipad from itunes, i selected "restore from back up" instead of "restore as a new ipad" .. .

As soon as it finished and the "summary" screen pop up, it showed the "other" yellow bar indicating 5.8 Gb !!! .. and the ipad has yet to sync back all the apps, photos and audios. ,,

somehow this "other" content still intact even with restoring ... without the jailbreaking

What to do now to reduce this "other" ..?? .. if i try restoring again, but this time as a new ipad, will it make any different ? .... and i will lose all my photos data ..

any thought and suggestion will be highly appreciated ..

@biobunny : noted, thnx

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@leelai & graywolf. :

i tried restoring the ipad from itunes, i selected "restore from back up" instead of "restore as a new ipad" .. .

As soon as it finished and the "summary" screen pop up, it showed the "other" yellow bar indicating 5.8 Gb !!! .. and the ipad has yet to sync back all the apps, photos and audios. ,,

somehow this "other" content still intact even with restoring ... without the jailbreaking

What to do now to reduce this "other" ..?? .. if i try restoring again, but this time as a new ipad, will it make any different ? .... and i will lose all my photos data ..

any thought and suggestion will be highly appreciated ..

@biobunny : noted, thnx

That makes me assume all that data is backing up with your iPad.
Try and hit "Set up as a new iPad" next time so that data won't be transferred back.

What about something like emails? You would have to have like a million emails to make up 5.8 gb, but maybe if someone sent you a movie or something.......?

Most reactions

Latest posts