What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Other" storage on iPad?

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've come to my iPad today and realized that I have got a "Other" part in my storage for some reason. I don't know how to get rid of this and it's starting to annoy me that I don't actually know what it is.

I have had a good read around the forums and on websites and it says to restore the iPad to Factory settings by reinstalling iOS. So thats what I've done. I now have an iPad 64gb WIFI on ios 5.1.1

There was nothing on my ipad at all but still it says I have 0.46gb of "other" storage.

I have now installed Cydia (as I usually add a few tweaks from it) and it has now gone up to 700mb of "Other storage"... there is nothing else on my device but it just seems so strange that It's actually there when i've not noticed it before.

Can anyone help in getting rid of this as it seems to be getting bigger.

Thanks.

OP
N

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I have now installed 9gb worth of music and 2gb worth of photos. My other storage has gone up to 1.15gb....

This is getting strange. I hope someone can help.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Other" is not to be feared. It caters mostly for additional data utilised by apps and downloaded onto the device.
It's an urban myth that you should try and keep it close to ZERO. Other forums are not to be trused when searching for information regarding "other" IMHO. Lots of people that don't understand what they are talking about trying very hard to delete "other". Big surprise. Restore the device and "other" gets deleted. Spend some time doing stuff and "other" starts to grow....

Sure, things can get out of whack once in a while, and a restore in iTunes will correct any errors, but just having some "other" is not a problem. It will always build back up over time as you create / download more data, media, etc.
Jailbreak apps, data, etc. will also be classified as "other" since iTunes does not know what it is.

Unless you have a serious issue, with many GB of stuff you can't understand (remember, things like magazines can be 400MB each, so GB's worth of "other" are VERY EASY to create), then don't sweat it.

700MB of "other" data on your device does not sound excessive to me! :D

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The "other" related to photos and music are normal. These tend to be related to the thumbnails, databases, etc. required to deal with your photos and media library etc.

Don't be OCD about "other" :D

REMEMBER - If "other" was a problem, Apple would tell you what it was and how to deal with it in iTunes. They don't because it is NOT a problem.

OP
N

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol thanks mate. I am also just adding some applications now and I've got 1.15 gb of other. Mind I do have like 50+gb worth of games to put on :)... OCD is the correct word. That is me I'm afraid. I'll not let it get to me though. :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol thanks mate. I am also just adding some applications now and I've got 1.15 gb of other. Mind I do have like 50+gb worth of games to put on :)... OCD is the correct word. That is me I'm afraid. I'll not let it get to me though. :)

Be strong. We all haver our own little OCD traits. I'm always polishing because of fingerprints. All my iPads are now between 0.5mm and 1mm thinner due to my incessant screen polishing, so not all OCD is bad :D

OP
N

NEOBAHAMUT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha, very good. I am trying to look after my ipad as best I can. I read on the net it could be "damaged hard drive sectors" that got me thinking.

I'm glad im not the only one to have it. I'm pretty sure I didn't have it before though. Strange how it just suddenly appears.

Most reactions

Latest posts