What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2x for non ipad apps

mbern1008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a good reason why Apple does not build in the capabilities of what retinapad does into IOS?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really. If is iPhone 4 compatible, then it should be high res on iPad. Or at least that is the way it should be.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, this is pure speculation of course; but the x2 feature for iPhone apps was never more than a stop gap to help make up for the relatively few iPad apps that were available at launch. Now that there are tons, and Apple has supplied developers a way to support both devices with one app if they want too, Apple isn't likely to give a high priority to making the x2 feature work better.

They would probably prefer that the developer include the extra code to make the app universal. I would too, since that usually means an interface that works better with the iPad. Even the slight changes in the iPF app are better than running the iPhone version, no matter how crisp the display might be if it would adjusted to use the retinal graphics.

In short, Apple likely thinks they have better things to work on. Despite how it may seem to us, their resources are not infinite, and people who are working on one software improvement for an old stop gap measure aren't working on other things, like maybe getting AirPrint right.

Reaction score
I think the extra code to make it universal IS supposed to be the fix for 2x like poet wrote above .
It's not up to Apple to fix it imo but up to the developers

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the above posters are most likely correct that Apple is hoping developers will create universal or iPad versions of the apps so that the 2x option isn't needed anymore. That being said, I still find a LOT of apps with iPad versions that are nothing more than upscaled versions of iPhone apps with a 5x price tag attached to them (I'm looking at you, Angry Birds). It probably isn't in the best interest of Apple or the developers to have a more functional 2x feature because that amounts to lost revenue. For such apps, I find that Retinapad is one of the best investments I have made yet.

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if iphone apps can be rotated on the iPad screen... there's plenty of resolution and screen real estate to do so. It's a pain to have to flip the whole device just to use an iphone app.

Most reactions

Latest posts