What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 iPad pro: what’s known?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
does anyone have a strong sense of whether the 2018 will be a compelling evolution, or an incremental improvement with a couple of sexy toys thrown in to bump sales?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say that the answer will be a combination of all of the above. Odds are the design will borrow cues from the iPhone X with incremental spec bumps in some places and Face ID as the sexy toy.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
do you think it’s unrealistic to expect an edge-to-edge screen? A11X chip?

I agree that facial recognition is more in the “sexy toy” category, tho I do respect that one person’s toy is another’s mission-critical tool..

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
can you weigh in on the improvement the A11X brings over the A10X? Small/large?

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
can you weigh in on the improvement the A11X brings over the A10X? Small/large?

I’m reading some things about low yield and a “leaky transistor” problem with the A11x, which I guess is a problem anytime they try to squeeze more transistors into the same or smaller space...

If Apple tries to bring such a chip to market inside of an iPad, the result *could* be like a fussy sports cat that spends more time in the shop than on the road...

...or does Apple expect such problems to be resolved before introducing a new platform?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Id be very surprised if Apple went ahead with a problematic chip. But now we're getting into pure speculation so it's hard to say how much better the A11x vs the A10x will be. For buyers wondering what to do , I'd say if you can afford to wait until June, then it is best to wait. If not , the current Gen iPad Pros will work great for many years (i'm saying at least 5).

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
agreed. thanks you for hanging in there with me..very helpful discussion.

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
does anyone have a strong sense of whether the 2018 will be a compelling evolution, or an incremental improvement with a couple of sexy toys thrown in to bump sales?

I’m leaning toward “compelling evolution” personally... here’s why:

We’ve all read the rumors-A11X 7nm 8 core beast running the show, face I.D. With smaller bezel space and no home button just like the iPhone X, similar design to the X... gesture oriented...AND the possibility of an 11 inch display this time around. This has all been rumored, it’s not just speculation on my part.

Maybe a new Apple Pencil too?

If all that is not the definition of compelling evolution if not revolutionary upgrade, I don’t know what is! I for one could not be more excited about 2018’s iPad Pro line... I’m thinking, if the 12.9” gets these upgrades too I may go for that model this time since I’ve been using the 10.5 almost exclusively since launch day and may want to go big this time around... either way, I plan on getting one or the other.

And to weigh in on your concerns about Apple possibly releasing it with an unreliable SOC, I truly hope that’s not the case... I don’t want to ginx it but this is Apple we’re talking about. They are usually pretty reliable about that kind of thing comparatively speaking. (In my experience anyway)...

I have high hopes for this years release! We’ll see if Apple delivers.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to the 2018 pros, too

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Id be very surprised if Apple went ahead with a problematic chip. But now we're getting into pure speculation so it's hard to say how much better the A11x vs the A10x will be. For buyers wondering what to do , I'd say if you can afford to wait until June, then it is best to wait. If not , the current Gen iPad Pros will work great for many years (i'm saying at least 5).

My battery is giving issues and I am hanging in until June-then may have to decide on a new battery if no new 12.9 is announced-I really want to wait on a gen 3. I made the mistake of buying only a 128 and even with Cloud (Dropbox) storage need more so am looking forward to a 512 plus all the other improvements over my gen 1 12.9.

Most reactions

Latest posts