What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zip files

Iamagog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am receiving an email where the attachment is a zip file. How do I open it please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You’ll need an app. There is no build in unzip capability on the iPad at this time. At least none I know of. The Files app will let you preview zipped content, but will not unpack the file. Or if it can, I’m not seeing the option.

In the past I’ve used GoodReader to zip/unzip files. At this time I use Documents by Readdle. It has the ability to extract zip files. There are several other zip utilities in the App Store, but I have no personal experience with them.

OP
I

Iamagog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You’ll need an app. There is no build in unzip capability on the iPad at this time. At least none I know of. The Files app will let you preview zipped content, but will not unpack the file. Or if it can, I’m not seeing the option.

In the past I’ve used GoodReader to zip/unzip files. At this time I use Documents by Readdle. It has the ability to extract zip files. There are several other zip utilities in the App Store, but I have no personal experience with them.

OP
I

Iamagog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I have downloaded Readdle which has opened the file, enough for me to read it but not in the format I would have liked. Beggars can’t be choosers!
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

Zip is a compression utility. Whatever format the file was in when zipped (pdf, xls, doc, etc.) is the format that you get when you unzip the file. You would need a different utility or app to change the file format.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Often with a zip or rar extracted pdf or epub file in Readdle Documents I copy/ share the file with the standard app iBooks, where I find reading the books often easier. (Just remember that if you want to do anything else with the file, to leave it in Documents or somewhere else, as once copied into iBooks it will not come out again.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Often with a zip or rar extracted pdf or epub file in Readdle Documents I copy/ share the file with the standard app iBooks, where I find reading the books often easier. (Just remember that if you want to do anything else with the file, to leave it in Documents or somewhere else, as once copied into iBooks it will not come out again.)

You can email copies of PDFs from the Books app. Only PDFs, and only email, but better than nothing.

Still, I agree. Keep a copy of PDF files outside the Books app. I mostly keep my PDFs in Documents. Only the few that are longer and/or for pleasure reading are normally kept in Books. And the ones that I put there before I got the Documents app.

0DC9CB6A-AD79-43EA-A3D3-8AC27F6A2EDC.png

Most reactions

Latest posts