What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZaggMate - Love It

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just started using the ZaggMate and I am really happy to have purchased this device.

If you need to enter more than a few lines of text, the virtual keyboard just isn't suitable.

The nice thing about the ZaggMate is that you can use the iPad as a notebook computer (i.e. on your lap) and it doesn't get hot.

A bonus, you get the cursor keys that are missing from the virtual keyboard.

Last edited:

Evelyn.TME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<3 Zaggmate

I love my ZaggMate. I personally have always despised virtual keyboards, probably because I learned to type by touch using the home row and that's how I still type. I didn't want to get the Apple Keyboard because it requires the iPad be physically docked to the keyboard and I felt like I may as well have a laptop if that was going to be the case. With my ZaggMate, I can set my iPad anywhere and type on the bluetooth keyboard (not to mention, I synced the bluetooth with my PS3 so I can use it on my PS3). I bought a quirky cover and I love the thing because it allows me to position my iPad in landscape, portrait and keyboard angles, but the ability to use the ZaggMate's stand for landscape and portrait angles was initially a selling point for me as well.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my second Zagg Monday for my iPad 2. I think the keystrokes are more responsive in this Logitech edition, everything else is as good or better than the Zagg for iPad 1.

Still looking for some way to disable the CAPS LOCK key, tho.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my ZaggMate. I personally have always despised virtual keyboards, probably because I learned to type by touch using the home row and that's how I still type. I didn't want to get the Apple Keyboard because it requires the iPad be physically docked to the keyboard and I felt like I may as well have a laptop if that was going to be the case. With my ZaggMate, I can set my iPad anywhere and type on the bluetooth keyboard (not to mention, I synced the bluetooth with my PS3 so I can use it on my PS3). I bought a quirky cover and I love the thing because it allows me to position my iPad in landscape, portrait and keyboard angles, but the ability to use the ZaggMate's stand for landscape and portrait angles was initially a selling point for me as well.

I am curious about the statement "ipad being physically docked to the keyboard". I guess it depends on the keyboard you have. If it is a cabled USB keyboard then you would have to use the camera connection kit ... which someone posted does work with keyboards. But that connection will not work with USB thumb drives because of the additional power requirements and there is no app available to handle text data. FWIW

I have the Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and it works exactly like the zaggmate keyboard ... they are both wireless... not with cable.

I personally like the Apple keyboard because it is full size ... very light, beautifully constructed and has great touch and feel. I also use it with my Mac Mini, too. Just an aside, but by having the keyboard as a separate item from the stand action of the case, the ipad can be placed to the right (I'm right handed) so the touch screen is positioned much like a mouse would be (of course there is no mouse with ipad). That makes typing almost like a laptop and I don't have to reach over the keyboard to touch the screen. FWIW

Last edited:

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
I am curious about the statement "ipad being physically docked to the keyboard". I guess it depends on the keyboard you have.

From what he said I think he may have been talking about the keyboard dock. It threw me for a moment as well since I would never have considered the dock since it locks you into one position.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that Bluetooth is better than USB, no bulky Camera Connection kit or cables.

Where I think that the ZaggMate wins, is that it provides a reasonably stable platform to prop the iPad on your lap. Some care is needed obviously, but you can use the iPad and keyboard safely on your lap, there is no heat and there are no cables.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
It was very simple, I think that I just had to turn BT on in iPad Settings. Then you just turn the ZaggMate on and press the BT pairing button (the ZaggMate). You have to do this once.

I wonder if they might have shipped uncharged? There's also the step where you have to type in the code that appears on the iPad using the Zaggmate's keyboard, but other than that it really was just about that simple when I did it. I believe there was a brief set of instructions - pairing, how to remove the iPad, setting up the hinge and a glossary for the special iPad keys - that came with it but no real manual.

Most reactions