What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering is the youtube app on the ipad different from YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. ?

i did a search for lady gaga on my desktop and get the 'official/channel' video clips, but a search on my ipad app i dont get the same hits or find the 'official' clip.

why?

thanks

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason music videos are blocked from iOS. I'm guessing its for some similar bs reason as hulu blocking everything. For some reason the corporate entertainment overseers in America decided that copyrighted and free content shall not be viewed on portable devices....or apple blocked them to sell music videos in iTunes...either way it's stupid.

OP
J

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason music videos are blocked from iOS. I'm guessing its for some similar bs reason as hulu blocking everything. For some reason the corporate entertainment overseers in America decided that copyrighted and free content shall not be viewed on portable devices....or apple blocked them to sell music videos in iTunes...either way it's stupid.

arrr ok,

makes sense sounds like an apple thing to protect itunes???

thanks for the insight

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to access those videos from the mobile version through safari. I don't use the included YouTube app anymore myself.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I believe the problem is that the "real" music and even the official channels have not been ported to the mobile version of Youtube, which is why you can't get it on the iPad, iPhone, or even my Windows Mobile phone.
Point any browser to Youtube and search for Lady Gaga. Now try the same thing on m.youtube.com
On the upside, try the Vevo app, since that is where her official channel is anyway.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometime music videos are blocked from iOS. I think the American entertainment require copyright, so block everything. If you require music video then go through with google youtube.

Which makes no sense...if it's licensed to play on a desktop browser...what the hell is the difference, except that apple sells music videos on iTunes and thats the only way they can bully you into spending money on something that should be free.

They can't force you to buy them on your desktop because they don't have 100% control...but on an iDevice they can (for the time being) govern everything on it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it shouldn't be like that ...

I think the iPad is going to be a good and bad thing for them tho.....if it becomes popular enough there will be court cases against the iron fist of control on apples part and it may force them to make it more like a desktop OS. I'm sorry, performance and battery life would not be affected by allowing there to be a file browser and say....chrome or firefox. The experience argument is total BS....and they should also have a Pro mode which allows for installation of Cydia and 3rd party apis....with a warning that you enter this mode at your own risk, installing unapproved apps can damage your device....etc. We shouldn't have to fight with apple to use our device how we want to.

They make the best products so we deal with it...but it should not be that way.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometime music videos are blocked from iOS. I think the American entertainment require copyright, so block everything. If you require music video then go through with google youtube.

Which makes no sense...if it's licensed to play on a desktop browser...what the hell is the difference, except that apple sells music videos on iTunes and thats the only way they can bully you into spending money on something that should be free.

They can't force you to buy them on your desktop because they don't have 100% control...but on an iDevice they can (for the time being) govern everything on it.

Wasn't there a similar situation when the Hulu app was released where they could not distribute their free website content on the iOS app?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wasn't there a similar situation when the Hulu app was released where they could not distribute their free website content on the iOS app?

They choose not to...if you want the free content on iOS you have to pay $10 a month....and I mean if you want the free content...like commercials and all.....actually more commercials than on the site!!

Most reactions

Latest posts