What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube download speeds?

OP
Pirahna

Pirahna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I got 20.5mbps download and 2.78 Mbps upload on the speedtest app so I don't think it is a router problem. It seems to be a YouTube specific problem on my iPad. It is very annoying. Last night I tried to watch a 5 min video and it took nearly 20 min to download.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just searched wrt160n and iPad and found a few router owners with iPads that recumbent disabling the N speed settings on your router.

===========

Copied from Cisco's forum:

I have Linksys WRT160N (firmware version 1.02.2) and iPad (which has N wireless).

* Router was set to mix mode (B/G/N) since my iPhone 3GS is G and my macbook is N. But iPad (which is N) speed was not even getting speed close to the iPhone and macbook. I got the following Speeds.

Macbook speed - 18.1 mbits/sec
iPhone speed - 15.3 mbits/sec
iPad speed - 1.5 mbits/sec (Horrible!)

* Similar speeds as above were observerd on Macbook and iPad when the Router was changed to N only mode, iPhone 3GS could not connect because its G

Macbook speed - 17.1 mbits/sec
iPad speed - 1.4 mbits/sec (Horrible!)

Here is the interesting part :

changed to G Only mode on router (so basically N function of the router was useless) and got the following speeds.

Macbook speed - 19 mbits/sec
iPhone speed - 14.5 mbits/sec
iPad speed - 20.08 mbits/sec (GREAT!!!!!!)

================

Try this and let me know if it helps

Sent from my iPad using iPF

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah thanks Rog, this is right in line with what I found. I should have researched a little deeper It would have saved myself some time and aggregation. My speeds seem to be holding and I can watch YouTube videos without any problems.

Thanks for researching

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blucente,

Awesome!

Watching streaming video is one of my favorites on the iPad.

Reaction score
I just searched wrt160n and iPad and found a few router owners with iPads that recumbent disabling the N speed settings on your router.

===========

Copied from Cisco's forum:

I have Linksys WRT160N (firmware version 1.02.2) and iPad (which has N wireless).

* Router was set to mix mode (B/G/N) since my iPhone 3GS is G and my macbook is N. But iPad (which is N) speed was not even getting speed close to the iPhone and macbook. I got the following Speeds.

Macbook speed - 18.1 mbits/sec
iPhone speed - 15.3 mbits/sec
iPad speed - 1.5 mbits/sec (Horrible!)

* Similar speeds as above were observerd on Macbook and iPad when the Router was changed to N only mode, iPhone 3GS could not connect because its G

Macbook speed - 17.1 mbits/sec
iPad speed - 1.4 mbits/sec (Horrible!)

Here is the interesting part :

changed to G Only mode on router (so basically N function of the router was useless) and got the following speeds.

Macbook speed - 19 mbits/sec
iPhone speed - 14.5 mbits/sec
iPad speed - 20.08 mbits/sec (GREAT!!!!!!)

================

Try this and let me know if it helps

Routers are backward compatible. I have set mine to G as well for better results.I had my Linksys on mixed for the laptop to use N but it and the Ipad are faster on G
G ,on mine ,is still faster than any connection speed 54mbps or lower.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the N routers we're using are dated, I heard that the early N capable routers were like beta routers. Everyone pushed to get the N routers to market before the standard was set. Just a thought, maybe a new router is in our future?

Last edited:

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using mine to expand my home library. Saves money and space on additional bookcases :) Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this a iPad 2 issue?

Last year, many of us with iPad 1 devices upgraded from G to N (per Apple support forums) to improve speeds and prevented disconnects.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Funny with this recent post, my linksys router just died, I knew it wouldn't be long based on some of these posts. I haven't heard of any issues with er of the iPads, 1 or 2. Upgrade already on the way

Foamy43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for help with slow downloads. This worked

Thank you for your help. I was driving myself nuts trying to get our ipads to work. Couldn't watch a Youtube video at all. Download speed was less than dial-up and we have 25mb on our lan. Thanks Again.
If you've done an update lately to your iPad OS there is a known issue that affects some by slowing their wifi to about half its normal speed.
To remedy it go into settings, general, reset, reset network settings. It will act like it's doing a factory reset but it is only resetting your network and won't erase anything else.
After the reset input your settings for your router and see if it helps.
Some have suggested hold the power button and home button at the same time for about 15-20 seconds then leaving it off for at least a minute fixes theirs

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Most reactions

Latest posts