What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube download speeds?

Pirahna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is ridiculously slow at downloading any YouTube videos, even low quality 1-2 min videos sometimes take 5-10 min to watch. I know it is not my wi-fi connection because my windows laptop will play even long hd videos without any buffering. Anyone else have this problem?

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using a speedtest app on your iPad. If speeds are slow compared to your laptop I would also consider changing channels on you wifi router. My iPad gets similar speeds to my laptops around my house. Do speed tests from different locations in your house and compare with your laptop?

Let us know if this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TravsiPhoneHelp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pirahna said:
My iPad 2 is ridiculously slow at downloading any YouTube videos, even low quality 1-2 min videos sometimes take 5-10 min to watch. I know it is not my wi-fi connection because my windows laptop will play even long hd videos without any buffering. Anyone else have this problem?

I have the same exact situation.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would change er experiment with your router settings. Try disabling vendor specific speed enhancers. Try enabling wireless B or G settings only. Some have claimed all router N speeds may not always be compatible with IDevices.

Reaction score
If you've done an update lately to your iPad OS there is a known issue that affects some by slowing their wifi to about half its normal speed.
To remedy it go into settings, general, reset, reset network settings. It will act like it's doing a factory reset but it is only resetting your network and won't erase anything else.
After the reset input your settings for your router and see if it helps.
Some have suggested hold the power button and home button at the same time for about 15-20 seconds then leaving it off for at least a minute fixes theirs

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Last edited:

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the same problem with an iPad 1, you can go to speediest.net and download a speed-test app which measure your upload and down load speeds.

I found that my download speed is less than .5 megabytes(yuk) and uploads speeds in the 4 megabyte range, the download is definitely my problem.

I went to my routers settings and figured that the problem may be related to the multiple channel b,g &n setting. I haven't Had time to set the router to N only to see if that helps. Even if it does, I have to older laptops without N capability.

I'd be curious what others find

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just try the reset on the network settings, my average speeds have gone up! I'm a bit surprised, instead of averaging .4mb I'm not averaging about .6mb. Did it help, who knows.

What is the speed the ipad1 capable of?

Alifaruq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but then I called my ISP and they changed some wireless setting and now I m getting way better streaming speed. Work on your wifi setings!

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is almost always the wifi settings in my experience.

Attachments

• image-269490642.png
    image-269490642.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 396

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog said:
It is almost always the wifi settings in my experience.

Attached a pick of my download speed.

Alifaruq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure I remember those setting right now, you should call your service provider and tell them about this problem.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really don't think it's the ISP. I've done more testing and netted no better results.

I ensured that I had the latest firmware on my linksys wrt160n router, I confirmed this with cisco. I fired up my laptop and ran the same speed tests and found that the speeds are where they should be for my wireless. My laptops download speeds are anywhere from 6 to 10mbps, this is what I pay for.

I've try all the different channels and settings on the router with no success, actually any changes made the connection speed worse.

I'm not really sure where to go next with this, maybe i'll try my neighbors wifi to see if my speeds vary. If by going to a different wireless network improves the speed my guess is my router may not be functioning or compatible with my iPad.

Hmmmm

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I've made some progress, I changed my router setting from mixed to B/G. My speeds have drastically improved to what's expected.

Most reactions

Latest posts