What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

youtube doesn't work in Ipad

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK . . . Now we know what we are working with.

I am going to suggest that your problems are that the wireless you are connecting to, is not giving you fast enough throughput.
  • I have this problem at home. (Time Warner... older router . . . g 802 is the highest option)
  • I do NOT have this problem at work. (University wireless. good speed. n 802)
  • It has been reported by many, that 3G throughput is consistently bad for streaming video
At home, ANY streaming video exhibits the problem behavior. . . . I cannot watch Youtube, ABCGo video, or any other streaming video at home.
I am planning to get a new n router, and see if the problem is the router or the ISP.
But it appears obvious that it is something about the speed of the network, rather than the iPad.

I recommend you get the app "SpeedTestX HD". (price is Free)
At home, on default settings, Speedtest reports from 2.72 to 5.03 Mbps, with an average of 4.45 Mbps.
At work, SpeedTest reports 7.80 to 13.26 Mbps. with an average around 11.55 Mbps.

Test, come here and give your results, and let's all discuss it.

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
both on the app and in the web brower my youtube doesn't work. the video starts and then it seems like it is loading but it goes to pause. after it starts pausing, the video plays shortly then pauses repeatedly. I have not been able to watch any youtube videos. After I press play so many times, it seems like my browser just locks up. I have tried youtube in two different wifi environments (at work and at home) with the same result. interestingly, the cnet videos work.

I am starting to think I have a defective Ipad:(

I had this exact same problem a couple of days ago - the video would start and then pause after a couple seconds, repeatedly. I even tried different YouTube videos to see if it was just that particular video, but none worked. But I hadn't been having any problems previously so I thought it was weird that this problem started. That same night I tried again and it worked fine. Haven't had it reoccur since then. I've been on the same home wifi network since I got my ipad.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just started encountering the problem. For the last two weeks YouTube was doing fairly well until 2 nights ago. There's this video I desperately want to watch. It took sooooo long to load at work I gave up thinking it was the wifi's problem at work. Tried to watch it at home same thing happened. So, I checked on my pc which is on the same router. I was surprised it took less than a minute to load. What do I do now?

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add me to the list. Videos run for maybe 20 seconds, sometimes longer, then stop because the playback catches up with the stream. I've tested this on multiple wifi networks with the same result. The same videos stream without a problem on my iPhone.

I talked it over with apple support yesterday. They suggested that I do a restore via iTunes. This is another way of saying reinstall the operating system. (Make sure you have backed up and/or transferred purchased before trying this.)

Process took me over an hour. Streaming is better now, but it still hangs up with too much regularity. I'm not real happy about this.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
both on the app and in the web brower my youtube doesn't work. the video starts and then it seems like it is loading but it goes to pause. after it starts pausing, the video plays shortly then pauses repeatedly. I have not been able to watch any youtube videos. After I press play so many times, it seems like my browser just locks up. I have tried youtube in two different wifi environments (at work and at home) with the same result. interestingly, the cnet videos work.

I am starting to think I have a defective Ipad:(

That's a bandwidth issue. Not YouTube. Also if an application acts up it wouldn't have anything to do with a manufacturer fault...the software is the same on every device.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a bandwidth issue. Not YouTube. Also if an application acts up it wouldn't have anything to do with a manufacturer fault...the software is the same on every device.

At least in my case, this isn't it. I have the same problem on ANY wifi network and my iPhone streams it just fine. Apple told me if the restore didn't solve the problem they would replace the iPad.

dom123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou everyone for responding. I am going to run the speed test and will post what the results are. I have had the same router at home for years, so I bet (hope) that is what it is. Also, we have an older router at the office. I bet neither are those n. routers referred to earlier.

my videos work sometimes and other times they do not. yesterday morning I used youtube without any problems.. but, earlier today my videos on YouTube and ESPN started and stopped as described above.

thankyou everyone for posting here, I think we can resolve this problem together:)

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem on ANY wifi network and my iPhone streams it just fine. Apple told me if the restore didn't solve the problem they would replace the iPad.
So this verifies that ...
You can't play streaming videos on any of the networks that you have tried yet.

We still need to find out how your iPad behaves beside another iPad that CAN run those videos, and try it side by side with that iPad, and compare their video performance on the same network.
That would be the next diagnostic test. to rule out weak networks.

Without this type of comparison, we don't yet have enough data to say your device is the weak link of the problem.

An Apple store might be best....
Or any store that has iPads on display,
if you can connect to their same network.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just started encountering the problem. For the last two weeks YouTube was doing fairly well until 2 nights ago. There's this video I desperately want to watch. It took sooooo long to load at work I gave up thinking it was the wifi's problem at work. Tried to watch it at home same thing happened. So, I checked on my pc which is on the same router. I was surprised it took less than a minute to load. What do I do now?
My PCs all run videos easier than the iPad.
I also have run into an occasional video that is a problem child.
run 10 other videos... no prob.
But each time I try to run one of the problem ones, the iPad video just spits and chugs.

If that one is still a problem, can you give us a link? We could test how it works for us.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had been experiencing very slow wifi download speeds ever since the 3G launch with my Cisco/Linksys WRT600N. The problem was only with the N radio. I kept blaming the iPad for the problem because my vaio laptop worked fine on the N band. Couple of days ago the static discharge from a nearby lightening strike fried my router and I replaced it with the Cisco/Linksys E3000. Both N and G are now equal to my desktop. Moral is check your router. If it's older you may need an upgrade.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that one is still a problem, can you give us a link? We could test how it works for us.

.[/QUOTE]

It was the video posted on this forum about " how to make the pogo stylus clone"

dom123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my problem video is the 8:00 minute video on youtube, first video that shows up under the search "zoogue". zoogue, is an iPad case that I was looking into...
It won't let me put a link here until I am a more experienced poster...

my first speed test results
--- I see now that I need to write results down, as I go...
my average results are these
average: 3781.5kbps
high: 6337kbps
low: 1226kbps

I will post more detailed speed test results, in near future

dom123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9if1eGXzM&feature=youtube_gdata]YouTube - ZooGue Unboxing[/ame].

IndyBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my problem video is the 8:00 minute video on youtube, first video that shows up under the search "zoogue". zoogue, is an iPad case that I was looking into...
It won't let me put a link here until I am a more experienced poster...

my first speed test results
--- I see now that I need to write results down, as I go...
my average results are these
average: 3781.5kbps
high: 6337kbps
low: 1226kbps

I will post more detailed speed test results, in near future

I loaded the "Zoogue" video on my iPad and it ran all the way through. I used the iPad YouTube app. I have had in the past problems with movies pausing. After reading some info here I did a firmware update on my Linksys/Cisco WRT160NL router. I am not sure if that fixed my problem or not but for now it does not pause during playback.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was the video posted on this forum about " how to make the pogo stylus clone"
Ran it and got my usual results...
  • iPad at work ran vid fine.
  • PCs both locations fine.
  • iPad at home goes 4 seconds, and then starts the freeze/pause/freeze/pause, etc.
I will be receiving my new router in about 4 days....
We'll see what happens.

Most reactions