What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

youtube needs flash?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
hi guys

im trying to watch certain youtube videos (im using youtube on my ipad2 via the normal web browser method) but it informs me i need Flash installed.

is this correct then? i assumed youtube didnt use flash and ipads can view all. this is obviously not the case? it seems like certain channels use youtube just as a carrier with their own encoding and not youtube standards. am i right in this assumption?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I have the same experience. Most - but not all - YouTube videos play OK, but some seem to require Flash. Not sure why there is this variation.

Tim

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read somewhere (no idea where, sorry!) that Youtube was in the process of converting all their videos from Flash.

Perhaps the one(s) you tried to view had not been converted yet?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hi guys

im trying to watch certain youtube videos (im using youtube on my ipad2 via the normal web browser method) but it informs me i need Flash installed.

is this correct then? i assumed youtube didnt use flash and ipads can view all. this is obviously not the case? it seems like certain channels use youtube just as a carrier with their own encoding and not youtube standards. am i right in this assumption?

Are you able to watch same vids thru the native YouTube app?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
there may be a couple reasons why a video can be found on YouTube for desktop but not on a mobile device.

One of which is the owners of the video may have set the syndication for the video to allow viewing via desktop only. Which then will be in flash....

Splashtop?

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes I guess its happen to me not so often but happens.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
splashtop is awesome I can play even Spotify on my iPad.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I founf this thread, I had also wondered why some kept saying I needed flash, even with built in youtube app.

Most reactions

Latest posts