What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When You're Locked Out of Your iPad

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
May i ask for your on how i can retrieve the password of my ipad which was was change by my daughter but unfortunately she forgotten it. Now its lock and its already connect to itunes appears in the screen. Thank you all in advance hope you can me with this.
If you forgot the passcode (the code you use to unlock your iPad after it was "sleeping"), this is what has to be done: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

If you forgot the password of your Apple ID, go to appleid.apple.com, and follow these instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5787

If you set up restrictions and don't know this password, you'll have to restore your iPad to factory settings: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Reactions: caq

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Johanna, I've had some passcode issues in the past and this is a nice little compilation for what to do in case you forgot your iPad passcodes :)

Fahad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, what if the I pad had never been connected to iTunes and have no back up. ??

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, what if the I pad had never been connected to iTunes and have no back up. ??
Then your settings and data will be lost, you'll have to set up your device as new.

If you have an iCloud backup, you can erase all content and settings after restoring using iTunes and restore from the iCloud backup.

Fahad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much Johanna for your quick replay. The good thing is that there is no important data and we both share the same App Store account to download his games again.

Stormstaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister in law brought her iPad 2 over that her daughter changed the passcode on and then promptly got it disabled while trying to get back into it. It's never been backed up and all she wants me to do is restore it. Problem is the recovery mode is only good for 15 mins but it needs a 1.3 GB update that I can't download in that time so recovery mode times out.

Any suggestions? Is she going to have to take it to an Apple store? I would've suggested this already except the closest one is about 40 miles away.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When recovery mode times out, wait for the download to finish, and then put it into recovery mode again, before the restore starts: with the iPad connected, press and hold both Home and Power button simultaneously. Don't let go until you see the iTunes icon on the iPad's screen. Then select "Restore" in iTunes on your computer.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts