What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You know what's awesome?

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Taking away something useful to put a mute switch right next to the mute button we already had! (Volume down always muted WAY too fast)

...and on top of that, it doesn't work in most applications/webpages!

Poor Apple.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who needs to mute anyway. I am glad that I can actually find that button now when I want to lock the screen. I was always feeling around all sides and I would accidently turn it off.

It was annoying. I'm likin it now. :D

I am sorry you don't though. Want some really good coffee?

Hedonist222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I think the mute button is used to mute system sounds (like incoming emails, sms and calls (for iPhone)) while the the volume button is for user designated sounsd (like a movie/song).

This way you can mute the system sounds (with the button) but continue watching a movie in full volume.

Makes me wonder, what used to happen in the past? ding dong sounds while watching a movie? Huh?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I wonder! Ya know, I have never watched a movie on my Paddy. Well, not all of one.
Me neither! Somehow I feel I'd have to focus more to watch a movie on the ipad than I'd do in the living room with the big tv. I like to melt into a movie not concentrate on it...

I also think that the iPad would also distract me to go back to the web, the same way it does when I read on it.

Then there's the distraction of holding the iPad still when I switch position in my seat without loosing the beat of the movie.

Reaction score
Actually I think the mute button is used to mute system sounds (like incoming emails, sms and calls (for iPhone)) while the the volume button is for user designated sounsd (like a movie/song).

This way you can mute the system sounds (with the button) but continue watching a movie in full volume.

Makes me wonder, what used to happen in the past? ding dong sounds while watching a movie? Huh?

Deja vu.

OP, I agree. Broken switch is broken and redundant.

viducce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitasking

Its great that it has multitasking now, but they should have opted for a tap function to start it instead of using the home button which is now gonna be pretty stressed.
Wonder when its gonna give up.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great streaming movies when lying in bed.........you realize what the cinema is missing. Comfort and volume control.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not lovin the mute/rotation lock either, but as Sweetpoisin said the old way of feeling around the corners for the switch also wasn't ideal.

OP
gregg37

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the volume rocker didn't already serve as a mute, or if this new one actually worked, I guess it would be okay. I'd actually like to see it used to go into app switch mode instead of the dopubletap home button.

Or God forbid, have Apple let us choose what it does! But hey, they don't even let iPhone zombies choose notification/mail tones, so you know that's not gonna happen.

I'm not buying the "I cant find the switch" argument. If you know where your home button is, then by default you know where the switch is.

I do read a lot and sometimes watch tv shows/movies in bed with the ipad at strange angles. This causes it to rotate undesireably now and then. I miss the easy switch.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm liking the new setup... Especially with a case the rotation lock was a pain just being on the side.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
The Home button probably has more cycles than we will need in the life of the iPad. It depends on the type of switch. Since it has such a short throw, it might be a bellevile washer switch. Those normally have millions of cycles life.

Most reactions

Latest posts