What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you ditch your eReader for the iPad?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
kindle_vs_ipad-for-reading.jpg

When the very first iPad was released back in 2010, Apple also introduced the concept of iBook and thus stepped on the ebook market to try its luck in the still growing world of e-reading. A lot of people speculate that Apple is going to dominate the competition, and that eventually e-readers like the Amazon Kindle might become obsolete. It turns out that it is not that simple.

With the introduction of the Retina Display a whole new different universe is created, a universe of sharp colors and bright lights. It is indeed wonderful for watching videos and playing games, but in the end it does not compare to the experience offered by the E-ink technology for simply reading text.

The iPad has been designed to perform multiple tasks and is really a multi-purpose gadget. Thus it would be pretty futile to ask that such a device be the perfect option for the act of reading. Even if text rendering on the iPad screen can be viewed extremely well, there’s no denying the fact that it actually looks like text on a computer screen. On the other hand, E-Ink really gives you the impression of reading an actual book and your eyes don’t become exhausted at the same pace while reading from an ebook.

On the other hand, the act of reading digital magazines is much better performed on the iPad. The colors of the images certainly look better on the tablet screen, plus the screen can accommodate the whole page without you having to scroll up and down.

By Radu

Source: Is The New iPad Retina Display Really Better Than E-Ink For Reading? -- AppAdvice

c.hack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No.

I love my 3rd gen iPad, but when I go to the beach, or want something cheap throw in a jacket pocket I take my $99 Kindle Touch. The Kindle also gives me free books to read because I'm a Prime member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Already did. Kindle was given away after it went unused for nearly a year.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only really read on my iPad when there's low light... I thought I would use it more for reading but just don't. The kindle is smaller and the eink is awesome to read on. I also like how if I were to break the kindle its only $79 down the drain vs. 500+ so its easier to take to the beach and work and stuff.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stopped using my Kindle e-reader two years ago, when I got my first iPad. Now I mostly use my Kindle Fire or Samsung Galaxy Note for ebooks, because they're easier to hold than iPad. I much prefer a backlit screen to e-ink and an annoying clip-on light.

I still keep my Kindle e-reader, though, just in case there's a natural disaster and I'm without electricity. E-ink still wins hands down for battery life.

txniteowl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. At least not completely. I love my kindle e-ink screen for long reading sessions of fiction. And while the iPad is not really that heavy or unwieldy, the kindle is smaller and easier to hold for a couple hours at a time. Also it is still easier to throw the kindle in my purse if I'm going to the dentist or for an oil change or whatever and not carry anything else.

That said, magazines or non-fiction I defer to the iPad.

But my kindle will not be going away.

WindOS VII

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my NOOK to read out in public, on the EL, in the park, at the beach. I feel a thief would want to target me due to the iPad over the NOOK, so I am not retiring it.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I stopped using my Kindle e-reader two years ago, when I got my first iPad. Now I mostly use my Kindle Fire or Samsung Galaxy Note for ebooks, because they're easier to hold than iPad. I much prefer a backlit screen to e-ink and an annoying clip-on light.

I still keep my Kindle e-reader, though, just in case there's a natural disaster and I'm without electricity. E-ink still wins hands down for battery life.

Similar experience. I had the Sony PRS-505 which is a great e-ink reader before original iPad and read dozens of books on it. However when iPad released and a strong desire to read comics in colour (they do work on e-readers but b&w only) amongst other things I bought one. Since then near majority of my reading is on iPad and now even better with new iPad. On balance I prefer reading experience on iPad and more flexible with ability to save and read offline Internet articles and mag sub via Zinio or free newspapers via newsstand.

I did have e-reader out a while ago to read Spartacus - mainly to see it was all ok. Good read but on return to iPad reading I had missed it. iPad can feel more like reading a book if that makes sense.

SquiderDragon

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I got my first iPad I used it a lot to read ebooks. But I like to read outside and there's nothing like the Kindle for reading in bright sunlight. Now I use the Kindle outside or during the day inside, and when reading inside when the light is poor I use the Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire, because they're easier to hold for long periods than the iPad.

Susan

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the first gen Kindle and then passed it to my wife when I bought the next gen Kindle. I bought the iPad1 and then passed it to my wife when I bought the iPad... and I did the same with my iPhones (see a trend here?). I use both my Kindle and my iPad. The Kindle is still king when it comes to simple text reading - light weight, low cost, eInk, extremely long battery life, etc. My eMagazines are read on my iPad - full color, nice designs, interactive, etc. I live internationally and travel to lots of obscure places. I travel with my iPad and Kindle. So, I plan to keep using my Kindle AND my iPad. Since my first computer in 1983, I have always used the tool that is appropriate - not relying on some kind of brand loyalty. For reading ebooks, I still practice the same behavior.

LesleyAnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my Kindle, just liked I loved my Sony Reader, and for straight forward non-distracting reading you can't beat them. More so in bright sunlight while out on school runs and the like. Also it doesn't strain my eyes to read on these devices. Also the size factor comes into play for me, larger devices like my iPad I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to hold and read for extended periods of time. I tend to use my iPad more when I have a surface I can place it on leaving both hands free to use on-screen.

The only time really when I choose a backlit screen to read over my dedicated reader is in lower/low light conditions where it is easier to read text on a lit screen than to struggle with eInk screens and an outside light source.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was really glad when Kindle came out and made books easily portable and accessible, and I got lots of use out of mine for around two years before iPad came out, especially when I spent months abroad. But I find backlit screens much more pleasant to read off, and was glad when the Kindle app was introduced. I don't have eye trouble or read outdoors, so e-ink's only advantage to me would be battery life. For that, I figure I will want my Kindle around in case of a natural disaster, but that's about it.

I'd been waiting for user-friendly, reliable tablets for years -- long before iPad, and iPad just happened to be first to meet my needs. At this point, I have gadgets from multiple manufacturers and on Adroid and iOS that I can read on, and that's key to me. I buy Kindle books because they can be read across platforms and devices, and I expect Amazon to be more likely to stay in business than other booksellers with multi-platform access.

aBlondeMoment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I LOVE my Nook Simple Touch. My eyes don't get fatigued, and headaches are thing of the past, when using the e-ink readers like they do when using the iPad display. Also, it's more convenient to stick in my purse and take with me anywhere. My Nook stays for reading books!

Most reactions

Latest posts