What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy an IPAD 1 now?

dkyser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just getting ready to pick up an Ipad at Walmart after seeing there is a Music Video Playlist available on the APP Store.
Now I see the Ipad2 is going to be released.

I guess I could still buy it, and enjoy it then return it before the 15 days, this way I can see if there are any bugs in the Ipad 2 when released.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just getting ready to pick up an Ipad at Walmart after seeing there is a Music Video Playlist available on the APP Store.
Now I see the Ipad2 is going to be released.

I guess I could still buy it, and enjoy it then return it before the 15 days, this way I can see if there are any bugs in the Ipad 2 when released.

I have an iPad1 ;-(

the iPad2 is a significant improvement on the iPad1 (I keep telling my wife) and only costs the same as the 'old' iPad1.... would that convince you??

I'm sure you've seen the 'iPad2' topic area on the iPad Forum website and all the videos.

OK - you can get an iPad1 for a lower price - I think I'd advise (and my advice isn't worth much!) to try an iPad1 out and see if it suits you. That lower price could be attractive....

Tim
Scotland

On a train on the West Coast of Scotland using mobile broadband..I need to get a life...

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a question. Which is the better value? An iPad 1 16gb WiFi refurb from the Apple Store for $349 or the same version iPad 2 for $499. I'm happy with my iPad 1 and if I were buying today I would probably go for $349. There's just not enough new features (for me) to justify an extra $150.

Now, iPad 3 will be a different story.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good point. Were I buying mine today, I might just do that-get a $349 refurb. I consider that a deal and a half! I wonder how many people are going to go for this as their first option.

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to ask about these refurbished machines. I had cause last week to have my iPad changed. I was assured it would be for a brand new machine and not a previously used one. Now I am wondering if they would be so low as to dupe me...? I do hope not.
Heard a similar conversation next to me at the Genius bar with an iphone4 being changed. He was also given same assurance after asking same question.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally they give you a refurbished unit, but it also depends on availability. However, I have always bought refurbished units when I can and have no problems. They look and act the same as new. My wife is still using her 14" iBook G4 that we bought refurbished years ago. Do not even try to take it from her. And when she does give me permission to upgrade her laptop, my BIL is waiting for it.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would consider buying an iPad1 only if they were half price or less for a new unit.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would consider buying an iPad1 only if they were half price or less for a new unit.

I'm sure most would at that price. However, with the release of the iPad 2 they are more than reasonable. If you want a garage sale priced iPad 1 check out Craigsloss or Evilbay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 1 has given me pleasure since the day I bought it.
It would have continued to do so if the iPad2 was never announced.
Best toy I've bought in many many years...........

Still I'm looking forward to my new one :)

Reaction score
Bob Coxner said:
Here's a question. Which is the better value? An iPad 1 16gb WiFi refurb from the Apple Store for $349 or the same version iPad 2 for $499. I'm happy with my iPad 1 and if I were buying today I would probably go for $349. There's just not enough new features (for me) to justify an extra $150.

Now, iPad 3 will be a different story.

In my opinion the iPad1 has the better value. Mostly because apart from the camera it can do all the things an iPad 2 can do and costs much less.

And if one only had a laptop/pc before, both iPad 1 and 2 offer a huge comfortability bonus. Sure the iPad 2 is faster, but at least for me the jump from laptop to iPad has a much higher value then from iPad 1 to 2.

And lastly, taking Photobooth, Facetime and iMovie recording aside, how long will it take for iPad 2 only apps to appear? Considering that iPad 3 is only a year or less away, I find it foolish to upgrade to a faster device now, when I still have to wait month for apps to come out to use this better hardware.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on the ropes like you too, but I decided I minds wells spent the extra $150. Two months from now when you see all the ipad 2 only titles .You'll be kicking yourself.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
2 months from now when you get all excited about the new iPad 2 apps, iPad2 refurbished will be available. Stop kicking yourself and congratulate yourself on the savings.

nickora

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.orantec.co.uk
ipad1 is hardly a bad option still, they were hardly thick to begin with and have the same size screen so all the extra bits on ipad 2 really will come down to how you use it.
basically I think that the hardware side of the ipad has developed further than the software side, there are thousands upon thousands of apps available for ipad, but developers try to make them available for iphones too (many are cross compatible) which means that the true limitations of the ipad app are actually the iphones capabilities.
i think its up to you if your buying your first ipad to go for either 1 or 2 but if you already have one I dont think its time yet to fork out for the upgrade unless you really want a camera.

Most reactions

Latest posts