What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I buy IPAD 1 ?

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
still undecided if to buy an IPAD or not as I own a netbook and am happy with it :)

my main interest for the IPAD qwould be to stream satellite from my dreambox to the IPAD...

well first I was undecided if to get the samsung galaxy but saw that the IPAD might offer more things....

well where I live I can find the IPAD1 easily brand new at my budget while the IPAD2 is still too much expensive. I dont need dual cameras or benefit from the thinner base.... would though interest me graphic wise as I saw some games and are really stunning looking at the IPAD...

Moreover I saw that IPAD 1 can be jailbroken while IPAD2 upto now no

so what shall I do ? grab an IPAD 1 today or wait a month till I get more income and buy the 2 ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
still undecided if to buy an IPAD or not as I own a netbook and am happy with it :)

my main interest for the IPAD qwould be to stream satellite from my dreambox to the IPAD...

well first I was undecided if to get the samsung galaxy but saw that the IPAD might offer more things....

well where I live I can find the IPAD1 easily brand new at my budget while the IPAD2 is still too much expensive. I dont need dual cameras or benefit from the thinner base.... would though interest me graphic wise as I saw some games and are really stunning looking at the IPAD...

Moreover I saw that IPAD 1 can be jailbroken while IPAD2 upto now no

so what shall I do ? grab an IPAD 1 today or wait a month till I get more income and buy the 2 ?

The iPad1 is a fine machine (I have one!) and if you're not interested in the cameras then the iPad1 could be a great choice, given the reduction in price. As you point out, the other main differences between the iPad1 and iPad2 are the dual-core processor and much faster graphics, which might be an issue on some new games that are being developed to take advantage of that capability, and the fact that the iPad2 has twice the RAM of the iPad1, which has an impact on some programs.

Tim

OP
G

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info....

infact am still perplexed if to go for the 1 and get it today :) am not bothered about the second camera...but will be totally pissed if there is a huge difference as regards ram processing and no future updates for the 1

unfortunately at present IPAD2 is not yet released in my country (just called apple store)

Last edited:
OP
G

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info....

infact am still perplexed if to go for the 1 and get it today :) I dont bother the camera...but will be totally pissed if there is a huge difference as regards ram processing and no future updates for the 1

unfortunately at present IPAD2 is not yet released in my country (just called apple store)
WOW! This is incredible:D

what is incredible ? that its not released yet here ? yeah infact it pissed me off lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info....

infact am still perplexed if to go for the 1 and get it today :) am not bothered about the second camera...but will be totally pissed if there is a huge difference as regards ram processing and no future updates for the 1

At present only a very few apps are designed specially for the iPad2 and can take advantage of the dual-core processor and faster graphics. So, for the majority of apps, there'll be little noticeable difference. In terms of future upgrades, the new versions of the operating system, iOS, that are being released are still compatible with the iPad1.

Do you have an idea of when the iPad2 will be released in your country? As you know, Apple were surprised by the scale of the demand for the iPad2 and have been struggling to keep up with that demand, but they're now rolling it out in more countries every week.

Tim

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mother in law got the Galaxy and its alright I'm not too crazy about it. THe only reason she didnt get the iPad was because her business didn't have the application that could run properly for her. It has its features but I honestly think the iPad is just much easier to navigate around.

I also own a netbook myself and yesterday was the first time I opened it up in about 3 weeks and that was only to try and encode a movie on Handbrake which has been nothing short of a nightmare for me lol. The iPad ur are going to be able to take with u to alot of places and easy on the go stuff. If the netbook is making u happy and u work just fine with that then i would say the iPad may not be needed for u.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked my netbook just the other week

It sits for more than a month at a time unused.

Go for the iPad. Whichever fits your budget. I had an iPad and gifted it to my daughter when I picked up my iPad2. There is very little that the iPad2 can do better or differently than the iPad UNLESS you are a gamer and want the additional speed or have need for the crude videoconferencing cameras of the iPad2. I do appreciate the lighter weight.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
It sits for more than a month at a time unused.

Go for the iPad. Whichever fits your budget. I had an iPad and gifted it to my daughter when I picked up my iPad2. There is very little that the iPad2 can do better or differently than the iPad UNLESS you are a gamer and want the additional speed or have need for the crude videoconferencing cameras of the iPad2. I do appreciate the lighter weight.

I gave my netbook and iPod touch to my nieces when I got an iPad (I now have 1&2 models) I don't miss either. If fact I used to wish my ipod touch were larger because I couldn't type long emails on tiny screen. Apple granted my wish! :)

OP
G

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all...I got Ipad 1 yesterday and am a happy man especially since my satellite receiver is working like a charm with the dreambox live app :)

Most reactions

Latest posts