What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wot charger ?

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've just bought a 3rd gen ipad, just as a spare/ very cheaply seemed silly not to.

The charger that the seller added, was one half ( the 3 pin plug section only) of the same kind my Air 2 has. So he either forgot the other 'L-shaped lump' bit the thin lead slots into.. or he's not added the correct charger/ original.

The box plastic square, suggests perhpas a smaller ' one piece' charger.. as there's nowhere for the 'lump' to sit in the box.

Anyone know?

Thanks y'all, schwangdiggindanger.

OP
S
Reaction score
This is what I mean by the 'lump' bit @RHS (awol with the 3rd gen just bought).

F485537A-BC49-41DA-BE8A-AA8D26F59FF8.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He included the plug adapter but did not include the charger itself. Try contacting the seller and see if he’ll send the charger.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Ah so the lump bit is the charger.. ok thanks didnt know that.

So is this same two-piece affair ( my photo is of my later Air 2).. also correct for a 3rd gen though?

Yes the seller is trying to find this section, but didn't seem to remember what to look for. Obviously been a long time since he used it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The charger will work with both iPads. You’ll need a charging cord with the 30 pin connector for the 3rd generation iPad.
Send the seller the photo of your charger and plug adaptor so he knows what to look for..

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi scifan57, yup thanks understood. I do have the ipad to charger cable.

The ipad white box though/ the packaging, suggests a smaller plug+charger was with it originally. Which is why the seller only added the plug bit.. because it kinda fits in the packaging hole. A second charger L shaped section, wouldn't fit. Usually they're separated for the packing.

So I'm still fairly sure a -different- charger (&/or wallplug too) was with this 3rd gen originally. If I could establish if ithis is true, & ideally get a pic, I could then ask my seller "this -pic- is what to look for". Or of course the newer type, other half of the two-piece one in my photo.

This is kinda what I'm trying to establish you see. Gives me a better chance of seller finding X if he is reminded what it looked like.

Thanks, schwanger

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad may have been originally sold in North America where the plug adaptor is much smaller and would enable the charger to fit in the recess in the box with it installed.
Here are a couple of shots of the North American plug adaptor.
1F359558-D10E-40E9-A90B-63E154E6C96F.jpeg
0269FA0E-9E16-45BE-8493-1E0CC324C4E0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Hi scifan57, actually the packaging has a recess for a typical UK 3 pin plug.
Thanks though, no word from seller as of yet. Hmm.

I bet you can't buy this section alone too.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi twerP. Cheers for that- actually I now see where this square 'charger' bit goes in the box.. so definitely this type originally.

Yup £15 or so, but a ballache when the ipad was £25, as daft as that price is/ xmas pressie for my old dad.. who likely won't use it. Useful spare for my Ma is the idea really.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

As long as you have the USB-A to 30 pin charging cable, it may be cheaper to just by a new third party power supply. 10 - 12 Watts should be enough. Don't go too cheap, as the supper cheap stuff from China often cuts safety corners.

OP
S
Reaction score
No problem.

As long as you have the USB-A to 30 pin charging cable, it may be cheaper to just by a new third party power supply. 10 - 12 Watts should be enough. Don't go too cheap, as the supper cheap stuff from China often cuts safety corners.

It's an idea of course. Might need a bit of help, as I bought a 'spare' one of these cheap chinese jobs, for my iPad Air ( just for bedroom).. & plug got hot, & also odd things happened on the ipad. Defo didn't like it. As you suggest- not this type. But it did say 10-12w on is my point.

All I need is this lump middle bit. I'm putting a WTD right here then!

Thanks all, Capt

OP
S
Reaction score
Chaps, could I ask..

I know this 3rd gen uses the same 2-piece charger as my Air, & I could buy another of course. But could I do this instead..

Charge this 3rd gen from my Mum's charger along with hers, via a cheap usb splitter plug > 2 usb sockets adaptor? She has a 2021 basic ipad.

Thanks, Schvincter

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This would increase the load on the power supply, a load it's not designed for. It might work fine, or it might overheat the power supply. Charing each iPad alone should be fine, or at least trying should not harm anything. If you do try to charge both at the same time you'll want to keep a close eye on how warm the power supply gets. Keep in mind that two fully discharged iPads are going to draw a lot more power than if they were partly or nearly a full.

To be on the safe side, I'd stick to one iPad, one chasrger. It can be the same charger, just not at the same time.

If you got a new charger just for the old iPad, it's not like that would be the only thing you could use it for. Different cables would let you use it with just about any modern phone or tablet (as long as the power supply is powerful enough).

Most reactions

Latest posts