What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wireless printing from new 2012 iPad?

Marcusmaedl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the iPad2 it was impossible to print on my HP printer (hooked via USB to an airport extreme). No problems to see and wireless use this printer from my MacBook Air....
And yes, I tried many 3rd party apps and work arounds. Wasted a whole weekend in fact. Nothing seems to work (unless a computer is running in between)

Does anybody know if the new iPad resolves this surprising short fall?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried ActPrinter app? Get from app store, download and install on Mac or PC and then print documents to your iPad.

From iPad to Mac or PC try Fingerprint. Install and then you should be able to select any printer and print from your iPad.

I use both with great success.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

Marcusmaedl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Gtatler, but i want nothing running, except my iPad and my printer (on standby). No PC or Mac in between.

If I can achieve this, then my Dad can get rid of his old Toshiba piece of &$%# and do everything he wants to do with computers on his iPad.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marcusmaedl said:
Thanks, Gtatler, but i want nothing running, except my iPad and my printer (on standby). No PC or Mac in between.

If I can achieve this, then my Dad can get rid of his old Toshiba piece of &$%# and do everything he wants to do with computers on his iPad.

Then you will have to invest in an AirPrint printer. They are not al that expensive and work well with iPads - so I'm told.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then you will have to invest in an AirPrint printer. They are not al that expensive and work well with iPads - so I'm told.

Agreed.

My husband has our HP Officejet 6500A (cost about $100 about a year ago) set up to print wirelessly via our Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. No PC is involved in printing. Through repeated firmware upgrades and such, we've had no interruptions or probs printing from iPad 1 or 2, iPhone 4 or 4S, or iPod touch 4.

We've tested printing since upgrading six iDevices to iOS 5.1 and everything still works fine.

My only prob with iPad printing has been forgetting to buy ink refills, even though a message pops ups reminding us of that every time we print from an iDevice.

OP
M

Marcusmaedl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just hate to get rid of professional office grade laser printers, just to be able to print from an iPad. So back to the original question: Does anybody know if the iPad3 can print on any printer in the network?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We didn't get rid of our top-of-line laser printer. We still use that. Our HP 6500A, we bought only as a stopgap while waiting for movers cross-country. For 100 bucks, we saved ourselves a lot of wasted time and effort messing with printing alternatives, time that would've easily amount to more than $100. YMMV, of course.

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have been using Print N Share Pro search for it on Itunes Store, with this we have been able to print to HP laser, Brother Laser and some networked ink jet printers.
I haven't come up to a printer I can't print to.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you wish to print to a printer NOT hooked up to a computer ( just a wireless printer) You MUST have a printer that is "air print compatible"...no work around for this what so ever ..You can install a program called fingerprint on your PC or your mac but that must be be running on a computer hooked up to the printer you wish to use
@punchucko...are using the most recent ios... wireeless printing required airprint enabled printers exclusivly since ios5 ...only workaround was to run fingerprint on a running pc or mac hooked up to aprinter

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The printer assist programs don't have to be running on a PC or Mac connected to your printer, but they do have to be able to print to the printer. They can print wirelessly or wired, it doesn't matter.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have a NetGear router which uses NetGear Genie software, the latest version allows printing to non-AirPrint printers. At least that is what it says. Haven't yet tried it out though.

mchevrier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed.

My husband has our HP Officejet 6500A (cost about $100 about a year ago) set up to print wirelessly via our Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. No PC is involved in printing. Through repeated firmware upgrades and such, we've had no interruptions or probs printing from iPad 1 or 2, iPhone 4 or 4S, or iPod touch 4.

We've tested printing since upgrading six iDevices to iOS 5.1 and everything still works fine.

My only prob with iPad printing has been forgetting to buy ink refills, even though a message pops ups reminding us of that every time we print from an iDevice.

I do have a Netgear 4500 with a USB printer hooked to it, prints fine from my PC. I tried to print from my IPad, no success. Can you explain the chain of Apps and HW needed to archive what you have done?
Thanks,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have a Netgear 4500 with a USB printer hooked to it, prints fine from my PC. I tried to print from my IPad, no success. Can you explain the chain of Apps and HW needed to archive what you have done?
Thanks,

Our HP printer is an AirPrint printer. We don't use any app.

mchevrier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our HP printer is an AirPrint printer. We don't use any app.

I checked, mine (Brother DCP-7040) is not. I installed Netgear Genie (Iphone and Ipad) and there's no function related to printing. Should I conclude that there's not hope?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mchevrier said:
I checked, mine (Brother DCP-7040) is not. I installed Netgear Genie (Iphone and Ipad) and there's no function related to printing. Should I conclude that there's not hope?

The option is in the router control panel provided you have the latest update. It enables printing to a networks printer directly via the router - at least that is my understanding. I haven't actually tried it as I can use FingerPrint OK.

Most reactions

Latest posts