What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Charger

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’ve been looking around for a wireless charger for my iPad 2 fifth generation. Most say that it’s for QI smartphones but research shows my iPad isn’t QI enabled.

I love the idea of a pad to charge my iPad but the reasonably-priced pads need QI. Any recommendations for a recharge pad, wireless, that’s not high priced or needs QI capability?

I have usb wall chargers already which I thought would be better than draining my laptop battery. I’m thinking that wireless will be better but if I can’t afford that, then a wired pad will work out. My cord has bent at the charger end. I could buy a cord thingie to keep it straight and erect (!) for ten dollars or so but the other solution seems best.

Oh, if it can charge an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 (received yesterday) ,that would be a bonus

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve been looking around for a wireless charger for my iPad 2 fifth generation. Most say that it’s for QI smartphones but research shows my iPad isn’t QI enabled....

Hi Pinkipad - already confused, i.e. 'iPad 2 fifth generation' - the iPad 2 (which I owned) was released in 2011 and would be considered 2nd generation; so what do you mean by 'fifth generation'?

...I love the idea of a pad to charge my iPad but the reasonably-priced pads need QI. Any recommendations for a recharge pad, wireless, that’s not high priced or needs QI capability?

The Qi Wireless Charging Technology requires specific induction coils that transfers energy from the induction pad to a compatible device - there are currently no iPads w/ this technology, so not a possibility - I have the newest iPad Pro w/ a USB-C port which needs to be wired for recharging. P.S. check the link for more information.

...I have usb wall chargers already which I thought would be better than draining my laptop battery. I’m thinking that wireless will be better but if I can’t afford that, then a wired pad will work out. My cord has bent at the charger end. I could buy a cord thingie to keep it straight and erect (!) for ten dollars or so but the other solution seems best.

Again, you will need a cabled connection to charge your iPad which will be more efficient and quicker than any 'upcoming' wireless pad - I use wall chargers for most of our devices - you just need to be careful w/ the cables and buy 'good' ones.

...Oh, if it can charge an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 (received yesterday) ,that would be a bonus

As far as I know, only the iPhone 8 and more recent X models offer wireless charging, so yet again you are not able to charge those older phones w/ Qi technology. Dave :)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are wireless charging receivers, e.g. on Amazon, etc., which could be used. They are basically a flat coil and a regulator of sorts. I did think of doing this myself on my iPad, but then it would mean effectively losing the lightning port.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are wireless charging receivers, e.g. on Amazon, etc., which could be used. They are basically a flat coil and a regulator of sorts. I did think of doing this myself on my iPad, but then it would mean effectively losing the lightning port.

Yes, I assume that our OP was likely referring to the 2-part units, i.e. a transmitter plugged into power & a receiver attached to the lightning port of the iDevice (one example below from Amazon) - I looked at these a while back for my wife's iPhone 6 - she runs down the power constantly (sometimes in the middle of a road trip when I need to use Siri for directions!) and I thought this Qi device might help - well, was not that pleased w/ the reviews, plus the charging port is 'hijacked' by the wireless receiver, if that is a concern.

Last week, we went to the Apple store in Greensboro for her to look at the iPhone X models (was ready to buy the XR and liked the wireless charging), but she was still fine w/ her old phone - I'd rather wait for a device that has the Qi technology integrated well into the unit than buy a kind of 'jimmy-rigged' adapter - BUT for the OP, if one of these alternatives is what you have in mind, then look at the Amazon reviews carefully, especially the more negative ones. Good luck and let us know - still in the back of my head. :) Dave
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 10.54.27 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Third party QI charger solutions meant for non-QI ready phones are unlikely to have enough power to work on an iPad.

Well, I've been reading about the 'Qi Interface Technology' which is regulated by the Wireless Power Consortium - as already stated the wireless power interface is mainly for small devices such as smartphones. Apple is about to release a 'power pad' w/ yet another new name, i.e. AirPower (see pics below from link).

The 'Power Pad' will work w/ iPhones 8 & X models, watch & AirBuds (the latter two only more recent releases - see 2nd pic and the link for explanations). The power pad will not work w/ an iPad as also explained in the blue circled area below - in addition to needing a built-in power receiver, a glass back is also required - will be interesting to see the development of this technology. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 2.36.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 2.37.47 PM.png

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Pinkipad - already confused, i.e. 'iPad 2 fifth generation' - the iPad 2 (which I owned) was released in 2011 and would be considered 2nd generation; so what do you mean by 'fifth generation'?
iPad (5th generation)
  • Year: 2017
  • Capacity: 32GB, 128GB
  • Model number (on the back cover):
    • A1822 on the iPad (5th generation) Wi-Fi
Apple identifies my iPad as fifth gen.released in 2017.

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Amazon has the chargers but non-Qi are expensive. Best Buy has one but I need recommendations before I buy. Reviews I’ve read on Amazon run from “it don’t work” to “awesome” to “it gets hot.” I’d rather trust y’all here than Amazon reviews

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Would you mind posting the name/make/modle of the chargers you are looking at. I can’t find any wireless charger solutions on Amazon that claim to work with iPads.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn’t bookmark any but saw several. I’m now trying to see if Qi enabled works on non-Qi iPhones or iPads.

Hi again Pinkipad - we've all provided you information, pictures and Amazon linking - and also have explained that if your iDevice (whether phone or iPad) does not have a built-in Qi receiver that you will need 2 external components: 1) Receiver that has to be plugged into your 'lightning port'; and 2) Transmitter that will need AC for power - there are a number of options on Amazon offering either receivers alone (you'll need to buy a power transmitter) or both units.

As yet another example from Amazon, look at the pics below (if not already seen) - the claim is the the 'plugged-in receiver' can charge both iPhones and iPads (I would question the latter but have no experience and do not know) - this one-piece device requires that you also buy an appropriate power transmitter (there are amp requirements). SO, it's time for you to 'get off the fence', spend a few bucks, and give one of these external Qi offerings a try - good luck and looking forward to your comments. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 10.38.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 10.41.05 AM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I find it difficult to imagine a scenario where the above solution is more convinient than plugging the iPad into a charging cable. There probably are use cases for the product, but there are serious tradeoffs involved.

You either have to keep track of a third component, and plug it in/out as needed; or permanently mount it to the device for what has got to be an ugly/awkard lump on the iPad.

The only way I can see this working well is if the iPad/iPhone side is incorperated into a case. Which means there is probably a product out there that does this, at least for th iPhone. Less likely for the iPad. As long as you are doing a case, you might as well incorperate a battery in the case, and a passthrough lightning port. It would be a seriouls increase in the iPad/iPhone’s bulk, but the features and convinience might be worth it.

Now, does this product exist?

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Yes, I assume that our OP was likely referring to the 2-part units, i.e. a transmitter plugged into power & a receiver attached to the lightning port of the iDevice (one example below from Amazon) - I looked at these a while back for my wife's iPhone 6 - she runs down the power constantly (sometimes in the middle of a road trip when I need to use Siri for directions!) and I thought this Qi device might help - well, was not that pleased w/ the reviews, plus the charging port is 'hijacked' by the wireless receiver, if that is a concern.

Last week, we went to the Apple store in Greensboro for her to look at the iPhone X models (was ready to buy the XR and liked the wireless charging), but she was still fine w/ her old phone - I'd rather wait for a device that has the Qi technology integrated well into the unit than buy a kind of 'jimmy-rigged' adapter - BUT for the OP, if one of these alternatives is what you have in mind, then look at the Amazon reviews carefully, especially the more negative ones. Good luck and let us know - still in the back of my head. :) Dave
View attachment 84951
I have an iPhone X and the wireless charge is awesome, and fast. I have a bedside lamp that has an integrated Qi charger in the base! Would totally recommend it. L

Most reactions

Latest posts