What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless A/N 5GHz Router connection

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have installed a new home router. It is a Netgear N600 Advanced Dual Band router. I can get the new iPad to connect to the G/N 2.4 GHz just fine. But, I can not get the iPad to join the 5GHz band. I have reset the Network Settings, tried running the band with no security etc. I called Apple, and they tried a couple things but it still will not connect. Has anyone connected the iPad 3 to a 5GHz wireless router? Did you by chance notice the channel that the connection used?

Thanks for any help.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jduckip3 said:
I have installed a new home router. It is a Netgear N600 Advanced Dual Band router. I can get the new iPad to connect to the G/N 2.4 GHz just fine. But, I can not get the iPad to join the 5GHz band. I have reset the Network Settings, tried running the band with no security etc. I called Apple, and they tried a couple things but it still will not connect. Has anyone connected the iPad 3 to a 5GHz wireless router? Did you by chance notice the channel that the connection used?

Thanks for any help.

Don't know the channel but mine works on my netgear 3700 dual band router. I tend to use the 2.4ghz band more, though.

OP
Jduckip3

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Don't know the channel but mine works on my netgear 3700 dual band router. I tend to use the 2.4ghz band more, though.

Hum, thank you. That is the model I have. Mine works fine on the 2.4, but I can't join the 5. Did you make any changes to the router for that band? I set the SSID, left the channel defaulted to 40, entered the Paraphrase. If you wouldn't mind sometime, would you check the security you selected, and what the default speed and channel that yours is set to.

I appreciate your answer.

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell the iPad which band to connect to, or does it just connect to the best signal? I also have a dual band router (although not a Netgear), and have noticed that my iPad is connected to the 5 ghz band, while my wife's iPad connects to the 2.4 band.

OP
Jduckip3

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKey_Current_User said:
Is it possible to tell the iPad which band to connect to, or does it just connect to the best signal? I also have a dual band router (although not a Netgear), and have noticed that my iPad is connected to the 5 ghz band, while my wife's iPad connects to the 2.4 band.

When I select wifi in Settings, I show both SSIDs. I can select either one. It's strange, the 2.4 starts right up, I get "Unable to Join Network" when I select the 5.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My 5GHz channel is 48. Mode is upto 300 kbps. Security is WPA2-PSK [AES] . I've been using it flawlessly for months and months. Nary a crash or anything.

Mbspears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works fine for me too, although the iPad definitely prefers the 2.4Ghz signal -- by that, I mean it usually selects the 2.4Ghz signal as it has a stronger signal. Why are you set on using the 5Ghz band? You really won't notice the difference.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same netgear router and use the 5.g all the time with out any problems on my iPad 3 the 5 is better for on line gaming

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a Netgear WNDR3700, and I use the 5GHz band with no issues. I just gave it it's own unique SSID. Also use WPA2.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

OP
Jduckip3

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: Well as it turns out, it was the iPad. I found an Airport to try to connect to, and could not connect to it as well on the 5ghz side. I went the Apple Store, and they verified the problem. They gave me a new unit, and it connected perfectly. Must have just been something a miss with the wireless hardware.

Most reactions

Latest posts