What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual band router

Streamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dual- band router 2.4ghz and 5ghz, problem is the 5ghz is not accepting network password. After contacting the manufacturer support, they suggested turn of security for this band, which worked!

However, reading through various forums, this seems to be a common problem, both for iPad and iPhone.

Does Apple have a solution for this issue.

Streamer

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a dual band router 2.4ghz and 5ghz, problem is the 5ghz is not accepting network password. After contacting the manufacturer support, they suggested turn of security for this band, which worked!

However, reading through various forums, this seems to be a common problem, both for iPad and iPhone.

Does Apple have a solution for this issue.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) For starters, you might want to provide some more information: 1) What brand/model router are you using; 2) What protection is installed, e.g. WPA2; 3) Your iDevices are an iPad & iPhone - what models/iOS versions installed; and 4) Do you have other machines, e.g. computers that connect w/ your 5 GHz band using Wi-Fi protection?

I use an Apple AirPort Extreme dual band router and my WPA2 security works w/ both bands - turning off security seems like a poor resolution IMO - please provide answers to these questions. Dave

OP
S

Streamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) For starters, you might want to provide some more information: 1) What brand/model router are you using; 2) What protection is installed, e.g. WPA2; 3) Your iDevices are an iPad & iPhone - what models/iOS versions installed; and 4) Do you have other machines, e.g. computers that connect w/ your 5 GHz band using Wi-Fi protection?

I use an Apple AirPort Extreme dual band router and my WPA2 security works w/ both bands - turning off security seems like a poor resolution IMO - please provide answers to these questions. Dave
Hi,

I totally agree regarding security, the router is TP-Link WDR 3600, (WPA2,3)

Devices iPad air iPhone 4s both running iOS 9.2.1 My computer is running Windows 10 Pro and has no problem with 5ghz.

Also QNAP TS-453 which again works.

It seems to be only associated with iPad and iPhone.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I totally agree regarding security, the router is TP-Link WDR 3600, (WPA2,3)

Devices iPad air iPhone 4s both running iOS 9.2.1 My computer is running Windows 10 Pro and has no problem with 5ghz.

Also QNAP TS-453 which again works.

It seems to be only associated with iPad and iPhone.
The problem could be caused by the iOS 9.2.1 beta software you're running on your iPhone and iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No luck rolled back to iOS 9.2 same result.

Unfortunate - thought Scifan.. may have been on the right tract w/ the beta suggestion - my Wi-Fi AirPort Extreme router broadcasts 4 networks (Home & Guest @ 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) - I use WiFi Explorer on my MBPro to evaluate my network - I have the base station to select the best band to use automatically - right now I'm on 2.4 GHz (the other is weaker out to my den). Not sure what Wi-Fi software may be available on your Windows PC to analyze signal strength and other features of your network.

If not already done, you might want to power recycle the router and your modem to see if that has any affect - Dave :)

Most reactions