What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will you try to exchange your wifi to 3G iPad?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Corey the documents at the FCC do not lie. If they did your 3G could become instantly worthless if the FCC revoked certification.

It has happened in the pass to other manufacturers who have lost type acceptance for some technical reason that deviates from what they submitted.

I doubt that the FCC would revoke Apple's application but they could and Apple isn't going to go near that can of worms so the FCC docs are correct. There is just too much at stake to make a screw up like that.

ki4je

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have to do that because 3G ipad is really advanced more effective then wifi. All features are good to use and user friendly.
If you are weighing your statement against pairing the WiFi with a MiFi Hot Spot, then please explain your definition of 3G more advanced and more effective? And then get ready for a good argument. But before you go any further i suggest you do a few Googles on MiFi to get a better understanding what it is, what it does. There is nothing left out with MiFi and there are actually more features to the user(s) I'm not going to tell you what these are,,, because i think you need to spend some quality study time on MiFi.. :D:D:D

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have to do that because 3G ipad is really advanced more effective then wifi. All features are good to use and user friendly.
If you are weighing your statement against pairing the WiFi with a MiFi Hot Spot, then please explain your definition of 3G more advanced and more effective? And then get ready for a good argument. But before you go any further i suggest you do a few Googles on MiFi to get a better understanding what it is, what it does. There is nothing left out with MiFi and there are actually more features to the user(s) I'm not going to tell you what these are,,, because i think you need to spend some quality study time on MiFi.. :D:D:D

I'm waiting for the back and forth on this one. I'm using a wifi iPad with 3G/4G hotspot (Sierra Overdrive) and am pretty happy with the setup. It's not exactly the same as a mifi but same idea with 4G tossed in.

Just got off a five hour flight from Hawaii to LA and wasn't happy with the limited use I had with the iPad ..... until I realized it was my fault for not downloading a few movies an a couple of magazines. 3G iPad wouldn't have done me any good in that situation. In the hotel room now and am using the Overdrive to connect to the web on my MacbookPro while my son watches a Disney cartoon on the iPad. Oh yeah, and we're both surfing the web without having to pay the $10 per day Internet fee that I would normally pay (for just one device). So the Overdrive setup will end up saving me $80 on this trip....

I preordered a 32G 3G iPad that should arrive the day after I get home. I'll see if it's worth keeping or if the flexibility that the mobile hotspot provides will make the wifi iPad a better fit. I can always give the wifi model to the wife if the 3G works out better.

Last edited:

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don’t know fellas. I may have to take you up on that challenge. I am not sure what jhonetheron originally meant but I think there is a significant difference.
The value of the difference is entirely dependent upon usage.
1. The 3G version offers the ability to not have to carry two items reducing potential loss.
2. Lower battery management concerns.
3. Take advantage of the instant on (internet based items).
4. Skype, IM, Email etc will constantly be connected and operating (some features require OS 4.0).
5. Most of the time at work in the field or traveling for business I am not with my family so no need to share the internet.
6. $15.00 for 250MB is really good. The Ipad switches from WIFI to 3G so you may not need to be connected as often as you think. I made the following thumbnail pulling information from Sprint and AT&T.
7. As stated by Gfedge the 3g has a gps chip

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. $30.00 for unlimited is amazing that’s $30.00 less per month than a MiFi and its siblings. $360.00 a year in savings. That’s almost the price of a new Ipad.
8. Month to month says good bye to contracts forever.
9. 4G is very much emergent.
10. Product resale value. I bet a shiny new penny that wifi only will be phased out. Laws of manufacturing dictate that differentiation increases cost.
To me those are significant advantages.

On the down note.
1. Will the 3G disconnect when the Ipad is sleeping?
2. What will this do to my battery life?
3. How fast is AT&T? It is very much location dependent.
4. 4G is the bomb, can’t beat it with a stick.
5. If you buy your 3G/4G unit outright can you go month to month, not sure but I think you can.

Please note that this is an intellectual exercise and I anticipate opposing views. I enjoy exchanges of ideas and hope we all learn something or experience a new perspective.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

gfedge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also debating this very question having initially bought my 64gb wifi only model on launch day.

From what I have read, the wifi-only model does not have the GPS chip. The assisted GPS feature is only in the 3G model. The wifi-only model uses triangulation via wifi towers.

Via Apple site:
Location (specs):
- Wi-Fi
- Digital compass
- Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
- Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

I guess this will only affect location aware apps that need true GPS capability (ie, realtime driving directions). Thoughts?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this mean that there will be different cases for the WiFi and the WiFi + 3G?

That unanswered question is what kept me from buying one of those snap-on style cases. I have a folio that I'm sure will see only temporary use.

Most reactions