What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the IPad Fizzle out?

Doggie55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not altogether but already I see all over the place people itching to program the IPad on the IPad. Not to mention programs that can create apps without a lot of programming. All kinds of things are out there for making mock ups and they're extremely popular. Is it lost on Apple that people want to make their own stuff for this machine with this machine?
I've heard that Apple only wants their own code running on the IPad but then if that's so why don't they release an up to date Apple Basic? If that means it would undercut the market for ten thousand+ to-do or note apps then all the better. I just don't think IPad apps are going to evolve unless Apple sees the light and lets apps make apps or self running presentations etc...
I'm thinking an e-mail campaign might help but I can't believe Apple doesn't see the same thing I do. Here's hoping they have a change of heart and figure out how to get this done on a win/win/win for everybody basis.
Ideas?
:confused:

FruitJuice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally disagree If i wanted an open source i would be on honeycomb

Last edited:

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure that if Apple sees a lot of people forgoing an iPad for something else because you can program something on the other tablet with tools on that tablet they'll do something like you're thinking of. That's a big, hairy if, though. Personally, I doubt that will be a problem for years to come and by the time it does become a problem (if ever, and that's not a sure thing) they'll be ready to ship something closer to an OS X tablet anyway.

I don't think the current target market for the iPad really is looking to do their own programming. They want to have something that works as it is right now for their needs and Apple is quite happy to give them something that does just that.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking that most iPad users are non-techies who are just happy about using the iPad to browse the web and send out emails on it. The population of people who are trying to break the boundaries of the iPad are a small percentage of techies who found similar minds in this forum, but we are by no means a large majority. I wish I could do certain things that the iPad can't natively do, but its not that pressing where I'm willing to make my iPad unstable. I did enough tinkering and ROM flashing during the years I owned a windows mobile phone, and I'm not going back.

That being said, I believe apple is slowly adding more functionality to their device, as long as it doesn't drain battery or hinder the performance of their product. There are plenty of other choices out there for people who like to fiddle constantly with their hardware.

Reaction score
If the iPod and iPhone are any indication my answer would be no.
Slow down to a normal pace,yes, but fizzle out, no

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not altogether but already I see all over the place people itching to program the IPad on the IPad. Not to mention programs that can create apps without a lot of programming. All kinds of things are out there for making mock ups and they're extremely popular. Is it lost on Apple that people want to make their own stuff for this machine with this machine?
I've heard that Apple only wants their own code running on the IPad but then if that's so why don't they release an up to date Apple Basic? If that means it would undercut the market for ten thousand+ to-do or note apps then all the better. I just don't think IPad apps are going to evolve unless Apple sees the light and lets apps make apps or self running presentations etc...
I'm thinking an e-mail campaign might help but I can't believe Apple doesn't see the same thing I do. Here's hoping they have a change of heart and figure out how to get this done on a win/win/win for everybody basis.
Ideas?
:confused:

Not going to happen.

I think the iPad will evolve quite nicely. Good products tend to do that.

Apple's first quarter report of a six billion net profit appears to back up their product philosophy. Can't argue with success...

wingnut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my ipad...for a tablet its great i had the xoom and returned...dont get me wrong i love android for a phone its great..having both i got the best of both worlds:D

OP
D

Doggie55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting replies. If I had to go back I would never buy the ipad.
Long story but there are several very good and fun music making apps that I'm happy to have and exist nowhere else. So for those I'm glad I have it and I can create music with it. I'd like to create programs on it though. Without allowing access to developers to create compilers and apps capable of producing executable files then there really is no future for the ipad. How many variations on type,paste pic make pdf are there? Interesting responses.

:D

Reaction score
I love my ipad...for a tablet its great i had the xoom and returned...dont get me wrong i love android for a phone its great..having both i got the best of both worlds:D

I'm going to revisit my options when the next Galaxy comes out, I'm reading maybe early June.
I'm not going to jail beak and in just over a month I've pretty much maxed out my fascination with Apple. The Ipad is the best thing on the market for now.
I don't think the Ipad will fizzle it's just not what I'd hoped for as a replacement for my Incredible non phone functions.
The wifi bug I got when I updated to 4.3.1 was the final straw.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that so many people seem to think that they owe us poor iPad fans an insight into what is wrong with Apple and it's products. Is it jealousy, hatred, or stupidity? I just wish they would come up with some different to complain about.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to create programs on it though. Without allowing access to developers to create compilers and apps capable of producing executable files then there really is no future for the ipad. How many variations on type,paste pic make pdf are there? Interesting responses.

:D

You train of thought is . . . . .Just wrong. You can't program/code on a iPhone or a droid, all sorts of items use programs but yet you can't code on the item it's self. That does not mean they are going to fade away because of it. Simple fact most people do not want to write programs them selfs. For the people that do want to code they get the developers kit and do the coding on a PC/Mac then export to code to the device it's going on.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rudinater said:
You train of thought is . . . . .Just wrong. You can't program/code on a iPhone or a droid, all sorts of items use programs but yet you can't code on the item it's self. That does not mean they are going to fade away because of it. Simple fact most people do not want to write programs them selfs. For the people that do want to code they get the developers kit and do the coding on a PC/Mac then export to code to the device it's going on.

The one shame about iOS is that, at least as far as I know, the only development tools run on Macs only. Not that I can blame Apple for not wanting to pit XCode against Visual Studio or Embarcadero's dev tools - particularly since Apple charges so little for their development environment.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So many assumptions around about the iPad and it's future.
All gadgets are limited in use and relevance.

Much more interesting is the growing convergence of iOS and OSX and how that will develop.
We're in a transitional period for computers and I for one can't wait to see what's evolving.

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... BASIC isn't about programming, it's writig Spaghetti-Code and losing track of what you did within days.

Modern Development systems require a lot of computing power which a tablet just doesn't have. Therefore, you won't find a proper Dev-Kit for any tablet that runs on the device itself.

If you want BASIC though, you can always get the old Commodore-BASIC from the Appstore.
I've got it on my iPad. Looks nice and it was fun to do some IF THEN / FOR TO things.
Brings back a lot of memories. But in today's world it's like trying to take a stagecoach on the interstate, it just doesn't make sense.

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am happy that the iPad does what it does. It's allowed me to check my company email while my windows pc at the office tries to restore itself to before the latest critical update.

Most reactions

Latest posts