What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reports are that stores are out of iPads

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Canada is 5%, but he mentioned additional costs due to salary and union costs, IIRC.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This could be a false shortage to drive up demand and media attention.

Don't give into the dark side luke!

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to keep in mind that Apple is obliged to deliver for the rest of the world also. Their money is just as important. Most countries have to pay a surcharge for Apple products and it has nothing to do with taxes and shipping. Profits. They can't ignore that. Here in Canada it's a 10% cut!!!

The iPad has been on sale for a good while in the States. Those who haven't taken time to buy one are solely responsible for not having it yet and cannot blame Apple for not having had a chance.

Huh?!? Most of the price differences are based on currency and random taxes, not Apple making more money. Where on earth do you come up with a 10% cut?!

And I'm sorry, but you can easily blame Apple for not having stock. There isn't a store within miles of me that has any in stock (and I live in Manhattan). I have called all of the apple stores in the city, and all of the best buys, all are out of stock. How could one not blame Apple for not having stock? I could understand it perhaps if you just want the wi-fi (despite those being out of stock as well), but Apple is solely to blame for not having enough stock of the 3G's. I might as well blame Canadians for having to pay more.
The Canadian Dollar is basically at parity with the US dollar, just a cent difference at most. That doesn't justify the 50$ markup for the 499$ base model. And it's not shipping either since the iPads ALL come from China. There's always been a 10% difference from US to Canadian Apple products.

Your absolutely wrong in stating that it "has nothing to do with taxes and shipping."
Steve Jobs Weighs in on iPad International Pricing and Taxes - Mac Rumors

I'm assuming you don't work in logistics for apple so please don't assume there is no difference in price between getting a product to the US and getting it to Canada.

And for the rest of what I wrote, you did not read correctly at all.

What did I misread? You said those who haven't taken the time to buy one are solely responsible and can not blame Apple. Again, considering there are no stores in my area that have ANY iPads available, how is it my fault? I ordered a 3G 3 weeks ago and should be getting it Wednesday. I have also spent the last week and half calling and visiting Apple stores and Best Buys throughout NYC to get one. It certainly is not my fault they aren't available.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing for me here in California. I guess when I was looking, around the 1st of May, the 3Gs sold out in the first 15 minutes of Best Buy's opening. Then I heard from a friend that they got a bunch in after I ordered mine online (May 2nd). Ordered all my accessories online at the same time and they too are trickling in. The camera connection cord isn't due to ship until May 24th but I have pretty much everything else. Ipad is due here next week sometime.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine day one, guess if my gf decides she wants one now she'll have to wait.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 10% added cost is the VAT if I remember right. Has nothing to do with Apple. in some countries they are up front about the tax, and others they like for the public not to know who is picking their pockets.
VAT is in Europe. Sales taxes in Canada and provinces are added after the suggested retail price and have no bearing on that price.

jojofsu75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine yesterday in Jacksonville, FL (drove from Tallahassee). All they had in stock were the 64g wifi ones. None of the bestbuys within a 200 mile radius had any in stock.

Most reactions