What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will The iPad Eventually Have A Camera?

eoin3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would personally rather have a high quality USB camera that locks onto the device for video chat than a crappy bezel cam.

Will there'd ever be a bezel cam? Maybe, but not likely. I say this because one of the big selling points apple made on the iPad is that it fits to you, so you can hold it however you want....adding a bezel cam forces you to hold it portrait, which would be horrible for video chat. If you had a camera that plugged in or better yet Bluetooth you could use the device however you want and just place the camera wherever you want.

Exactly gentlefury.

I don't know if I agree. I'm sure any front facing chat camera would have some sort of facial recognition software so it can track your face.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will have to have a camera as a number of devices that are competing with it will. For instance the HP Slate will have 2 cameras. Hopefully the iPad 4G models will have at least one and be here by the summer of 2011.

Oh Oh The Pain Of It All :eek::eek::eek:

hamletpri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
code in addy book

The code in address book means nothing. Sure, a camera would be nice, but the code is just left overs that apple never tidied up when they were changing iPhone OS to run on iPad. It's just like base code sort of

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confident that they will offer a camera in a near generation. I also do not think it will matter if it is in landscape or portrait mode for taking pictures. The focal point should be usable in any position.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A camera i wouldn't really like on it, for the size of it a web cam would suit it better.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A completely unnecessary addition, on a nearly 10 inch screen, if it ever shows up IMO.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seems to be confusion. If a camera ever comes, it most likely will be able to do photos, videos, webcam, webchat, etc...

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i do not see a need for a camera on the unit ..if you want to take pictures or video use a video camera then not the unit ..for it just things that could go wrong with a unit in the future

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The differences shown here, are a good reason why it was not offered originally. I imagine a lot of testing of a camera was done in their research. And enough problems probably showed up during experimentation to show that it would not add to the experience for users.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a rearside camera could be useful. a frontside camera useless.

Just imagine, that you always would have to take care of the right angle, how you hold the iPad to do a video chat...

It would be totally against the ergonomic idea of the iPad.

But who knows, Apple has more than once listened to their users...

Jonny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A small ROTATING web cam that could be plugged into the ipad would be great. Have it facing forward or backward, it would be great for skyping. iPad is the future and me being able to skype with my wife or family across country during my lunch hour would be awesome.

I really wouldnt care how many magapix it has and such, it's not meant to be taken to Disney and take pics with it.

Bluetooth webcam sounds interesting, but if you're on the go (subway/train, taxi, bus, airplane or simply walking around the house) then it would be useless.

My money is on a 3rd party selling a plug-in webcam and downloading their app. **(earth to skype)**

btw I'm new here :eek:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A small ROTATING web cam that could be plugged into the ipad would be great. Have it facing forward or backward, it would be great for skyping. iPad is the future and me being able to skype with my wife or family across country during my lunch hour would be awesome.

I really wouldnt care how many magapix it has and such, it's not meant to be taken to Disney and take pics with it.

Bluetooth webcam sounds interesting, but if you're on the go (subway/train, taxi, bus, airplane or simply walking around the house) then it would be useless.

My money is on a 3rd party selling a plug-in webcam and downloading their app. **(earth to skype)**

btw I'm new here :eek:

Why would it be useless...bluetooth webcam with a clip to put it on the top of the iPad regardless of which way you hold it sounds like it would be great to me....

Loves2spoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't really care that much about a camera on the iPad, it does everything it should perfectly!

A front facing camera on the other hand for iChat would be nice. cough*os 4.0*cough 2nd gen?

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should have a front and back camera. Video conferencing in your hands will be huge. Don't expect to see this though until 4G service is the standard as the current 3G doesn't cut it.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about an optional camera?

I picked up a picture on a german iPad-Forum, which I personally really like:

image.php

That would be something, I would go for, because it would leave you the option to use it, when you need it.

Really nice concept.

Most reactions