What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wil 3G iPads have WiFi issues?

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People seemed to have simmered down regarding the multitude of complaints surrounding the iPads wireless connectivity. I am wondering if Apple will really address this if the same issue exists with the 3G versions.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure there's going to be issues of all kinds seeing as 4/30 is the first time they will see the light of day. Both with the wifi and 3G alike. The one thing that gives me peace of mind is how well apple stood behind their product with those who had troubles with the wifi model. I see no reason why they wouldn't replace any of our units in the event that there are any issues. Of course I have the squaretrade insurance just in case.;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
better not have wifi issues...if you had to rely only on AT&T internet you would be pretty screwed.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure there's going to be issues of all kinds seeing as 4/30 is the first time they will see the light of day. Both with the wifi and 3G alike. The one thing that gives me peace of mind is how well apple stood behind their product with those who had troubles with the wifi model. I see no reason why they wouldn't replace any of our units in the event that there are any issues. Of course I have the squaretrade insurance just in case.;)

Yes Apple did replace a lot of WiFi only iPads only to have the owners still experience the same issues that they did with the units that they returned.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes Apple did replace a lot of WiFi only iPads only to have the owners still experience the same issues that they did with the units that they returned.

That would seem to me tho that it wasn't a hardware issue but a firmware problem and not a universal problem, since I havent experienced it and neither have most users.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a firmware issue. Looks like the iPad doesn't handle the DHCP right and doesn't release the IP-address properly.

Prosumably they will release a 3.2.1 version with the launch of the 3G. They can't afford to wait until 4.0

JMK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
better not have wifi issues...if you had to rely only on AT&T internet you would be pretty screwed.

I haven't had any issues with my iPhone 3gs. May be a location issue.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess we'll know for sure on Friday if they change the firmware or not,

I don't think that they will. I believe that they will take a wait and see approach. They will most likely want to cut down production costs and not have to do anything until 4.0 comes out.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue may have more to do with antenna placement than firmware, exacerbated by early production problems. A recent test of the iPad wifi vs other computer wifi units showed some range issues. The 3G may have a different antenna configuration. That could mean nothing, create a solution, or other problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts