What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi VS. WiFi + 3G WiFi Issues

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone who has experienced WiFi issues with the WiFi only units test on the same router / firewall with a WiFi + 3G to see if the problem still exists?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may not help much, but I connected today at a public hotspot in town and had no issues for the half hour that I was there. 3G is noticeably slower. My 3G connection now is running about 590 kbps.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sonny Burnett said:
Can anyone who has experienced WiFi issues with the WiFi only units test on the same router / firewall with a WiFi + 3G to see if the problem still exists?
I want same info as it is possible apple may have made changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwagner88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have both a 3G and wifi model in my home. I also have a dual band router, the signal strength on the wifi only model is noticeably worse than the 3G has been so far today. I haven't had any problems with the wifi only model dropping connections, but the signal strength is worse while sitting in the same spot connected to the same network as the 3G model.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not had any performance difference over my laptop, but the iPad usually shows fewer bars. They have already dismounted the 3G and found five antennae in it.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think only those with both the WiFi and 3G should post replies here, just to get a more technical response. We already know what the WiFi only version behave like on certain routers or hotspots, but comparing them to other devices wont work here, its better comparison between wifi and 3g iPad units. Get it, same unit only one is wifi the other both wifi and 3g but not running 3g, we are comparing the antennas for wifi, nothing really with 3g.

Although the 3G comparison between an iPhone 3GS and iPad 3G would be good for another thread.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have both a 3G and wifi model in my home. I also have a dual band router, the signal strength on the wifi only model is noticeably worse than the 3G has been so far today. I haven't had any problems with the wifi only model dropping connections, but the signal strength is worse while sitting in the same spot connected to the same network as the 3G model.

That doesn't surprise me. The Wifi has complete aluminium enclosure and has due to that a better shielding. The 3G has for exactly that reason the little black plastic cover. That is the area, where the 3G antenna sits and it is also of benefit for the wifi reception.

But the main problem area on wifi is not the reception. It is a bad DHCP handling issue. That should be resolved with the next firmware upgrade.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I am at my cigar store hangout on wifi right now, and have watched vid from ABCand used mail as well as posting this. I've seen absolutely no problem connecting or maintaining connection. I'm just amazed that the wifi speed is more than triple 3G.

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Admittedly, this is just a preliminary report, as I have only had my 3G one day...

No issues on Wifi at home. I am using the hotel Wifi in my room in LAX now. Works just fine, signal is a little weak. Haven't had to use 3G yet.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I am at my cigar store hangout on wifi right now, and have watched vid from ABCand used mail as well as posting this. I've seen absolutely no problem connecting or maintaining connection. I'm just amazed that the wifi speed is more than triple 3G.

Why does that amaze you?
A LAN based Internet connection will always blow away a cell based one.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What kind of cigars do you smoke?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Anything by Pete Johnson, esp. Tatuaje brown bands. Liga Privada from Drew Estates...waiting on the Dirty Rat release...Many others!

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Why does that amaze you?
A LAN based Internet connection will always blow away a cell based one.

I'm still amazed that my TV has a remote that doesn't click.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Anything by Pete Johnson, esp. Tatuaje brown bands. Liga Privada from Drew Estates...waiting on the Dirty Rat release...Many others!

Where are the Pre-Embargo Cubans?

Most reactions

Latest posts