What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi VS. WiFi + 3G Release

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What purpose does it serve Apple to have 2 different release dates? Are we to believe that it is going to take them 3 to 4 weeks longer to produce enough units to release the 3G version. Any thoughts on the logic behind this? :confused:

Zane Barker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What purpose does it serve Apple to have 2 different release dates? Are we to believe that it is going to take them 3 to 4 weeks longer to produce enough units to release the 3G version. Any thoughts on the logic behind this? :confused:

This is my guess as to why two different release dates.

In case you are not aware there is this thing called the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) that has to give approval on all things communication. And seeing as the iPad with WiFi+3G will have more communication capabilities then the iPad WiFi its probably safe to say that is takes LONGER to get approval.

A company does NOT want to go into mass production until they get FCC approval because they would LOOSE TONS OF MONEY if they are told to change something before they can sell it.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe, but remember the Wifi only was supposed to be available in March and the 3G in April, if it was due to regulation then why put off the WiFi only? Also I don't think that they would have held the keynote and announced everything unless they already has all of their ducks lined up!;)

Zane Barker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe, but remember the Wifi only was supposed to be available in March and the 3G in April, if it was due to regulation then why put off the WiFi only?

I would NOT say that apple put off the WiFi. 3 Days is hardly a delay.

Also I don't think that they would have held the keynote and announced everything unless they already has all of their ducks lined up!;)

Why not Apple has done it before. Remember the iPhone? It was announced 6 months prior to release. They let even more time between announcement and launch that time because it was such a new type of device that FCC approval would take longer.

Apple would absolutely announce a product before final FCC approval because Apple wants to control the announcement of a product. If they had submitted things to the FCC first then full info about the product would be leaked before Apple would have chance to announce it first.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is not for donkey

I would NOT say that apple put off the WiFi. 3 Days is hardly a delay.

Why not Apple has done it before. Remember the iPhone? It was announced 6 months prior to release. They let even more time between announcement and launch that time because it was such a new type of device that FCC approval would take longer.

Apple would absolutely announce a product before final FCC approval because Apple wants to control the announcement of a product. If they had submitted things to the FCC first then full info about the product would be leaked before Apple would have chance to announce it first.

Zane as i already present around 20 product's in the FCC, in the form you have to fill they have one * say you should not start to pre-oder you're products until you get our pre-approuval .. don't respect that is against law and regulation .. for for some Donkey is difficult to understand ...trying to explain is like talking in the wind :D

Most reactions

Latest posts