What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi using MiFi

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a drive to test out the Rev app and I noticed google maps found my location while moving. I wonder if the Mifi has gps because it seemed to work quite well while connected. This might be a huge benefit for maps location apps on the wifi only iPad!!!

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it gets it through the wifi signal from your hotspot which gets it through it's internet connection.

Cya

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am really curious about that mifi ... soon i will get my hand in one just for my knowledge

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When my contract on my wireless internet usb card expires and ready for an upgrade I'm going to get the mifi to fulfill my wireless needs.

Cya

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it gets it through the wifi signal from your hotspot which gets it through it's internet connection.

But the internet connection is coming from the Mifi so that means it has GPS, no?

brandonhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the droid its rooted (jail broken), it has a mifi app. It will wireless teather from at least 30 feet away maybe further. Works great with the iPad. I have used two laptops and iPad at the same time with it. I like how I'm already paying the 30 a month for the smart phone plan anyway, so it's really like free mifi.

Just done a speedtest, it got 9.45 mbps download on broadband, 1.43 mbps down on mifi. I done a test on the droid and it got .86 mbps down on it's on 3g. So the pad is does great on the mifi.

Last edited:

hendjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the droid its rooted (jail broken), it has a mifi app. It will wireless teather from at least 30 feet away maybe further. Works great with the iPad. I have used two laptops and iPad at the same time with it. I like how I'm already paying the 30 a month for the smart phone plan anyway, so it's really like free mifi.

Just done a speedtest, it got 9.45 mbps download on broadband, 1.43 mbps down on mifi. I done a test on the droid and it got .86 mbps down on it's on 3g. So the pad is does great on the mifi.

What is the mifi app you have added after rooting?

brandonhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What is the mifi app you have added after rooting?

You can get it here. android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

shadownmss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Verizon MiFi works perfectly! My company supplies one to me for mobile Internet access. I am using it right now to make this post with my iPad.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep mifi = wap. I find my mifi to be substantially faster that the wifi I am picking up at book stores like barns and borders. IMO it's the killer app for the iPad. Curious how much the internal 3G will drain the battery.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep mifi = wap. I find my mifi to be substantially faster that the wifi I am picking up at book stores like barns and borders. IMO it's the killer app for the iPad. Curious how much the internal 3G will drain the battery.

Should be interesting to see since the WiFi iPad gets such good battery life.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a drive to test out the Rev app and I noticed google maps found my location while moving. I wonder if the Mifi has gps because it seemed to work quite well while connected. This might be a huge benefit for maps location apps on the wifi only iPad!!!

I know that both Sprint MiFi radios come with GPS built-in them. I'm getting the same with Google Maps and my Sierra Wireless MiFi, it tracks my precise location. The iPad 3G version will have the same function, it will have the GPS chip built in the iPad. I'm still not sure if the GPS will work without the 3G service. Someone told me that the iPad 3G will work as a true GPS without the service, but that's rumor not fact unless someone can ping in that knows

Last edited:

Most reactions