What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi using MiFi

garusll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently using a MiFi2200 personal hotspot hardware, with Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband, to get online with my computers, laptops, netbook, and iTouch 2G

Will I be able to us an Apple iPad's WiFi feature with my MiFi 2200 ?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Garusll, welcome to the forum! I don't think you'll have any problems hooking up with that. Are you leaning towards the iPad without 3G?

awgriffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MiFi should work

Four differnt apple chats assured me that if my ipod touch picks up my MiFi then the ipad will also. My ipod actually runs faster on it than on my home wireless signal.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about doing the MiFi thing. Just haven't researched into the service area for outside the U.S.

Does it work like cell coverage? I travel often to Tokyo, Hong Kong & South Africa on photo assignments and would need the MiFi for those regions.

Anyone ever used theirs abroad?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So you use the MiFi as your main internet connection for your home??

Do you run into problems with going over your data usage amount??

19hole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my new HTC HD2 and installed the WiFi Router application. I wasaable to easily connect my IPod Touch to it for Internet connectivity. This is my plan for my iPad when it arrives.

I am on T-Mobile and have an unlimited data plan so I have no worries about data comsumption.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's also a program called 'walking hot spot' that you can put on a winmo device that turns it into a hot spot. I used to do this so I could use my iPod touch out of the house.

To be honest - I'm going 3G and will initially buy the $15 plan. I'll move up if I need to. I really don't want to be messing with battery drain on a mobile phone or carrying around a separate wifi device with charger, etc. I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible.

StudioTq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im having to go the MiFi Route

Couple of Reasons....
1) I still need to connect with a Laptop to FTP photos for Smugmug, Clients, Newspaper etc. Some want some weird photoshopping on their photos. Easier to photoshop and boom to FTP when I am out on a laptop, as the Ipad does not have photoshop.
2) The Mifi will connect with up to 5 devices and not just the one internal like my Ipad (when I get it)
3) If I get my wife an Ipad, then rather that two, 30$ charges which equal 60 bucks I am equal with the price of the Mifi.

Just my 2 GB worth

Tom Q

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple of Reasons....
1) I still need to connect with a Laptop to FTP photos for Smugmug, Clients, Newspaper etc. Some want some weird photoshopping on their photos. Easier to photoshop and boom to FTP when I am out on a laptop, as the Ipad does not have photoshop.
2) The Mifi will connect with up to 5 devices and not just the one internal like my Ipad (when I get it)
3) If I get my wife an Ipad, then rather that two, 30$ charges which equal 60 bucks I am equal with the price of the Mifi.

Just my 2 GB worth

Tom Q

Agreed - In your shoes I would do exactly what you are doing. My plan (at least it's my plan for now) is to only leave home with the iPad as my device.

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am and it works very well. I'll have to run some speed tests and report back.

Terry2543

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my new HTC HD2 and installed the WiFi Router application. I wasaable to easily connect my IPod Touch to it for Internet connectivity. This is my plan for my iPad when it arrives.

I am on T-Mobile and have an unlimited data plan so I have no worries about data comsumption.

I am on the same boat. I have the tmobile Htc hd2 and nexus one and the iPad get the wifi through those two devices.

Btw, the iPad so awesome........

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
380 up and 1200 down with iPad on Mifi @ 40 ft away. Works well.

Most reactions

Latest posts