What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi using MiFi

tpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have access to the Internet other than by the cell networks. I have been using an AT&T broadband PC card for over 3 years.

I use the card in an Airlink 101 cellular broadband router. The router was available at Fry's for about $70.00, iirc.

At home it is connected to my Mac Mini via LAN cable. When I leave for work I simply hook it to a 110volt converter in my car or truck. This means I have my own mobile wifi hotspot everywhere I go.

Had the MIFI been on the market at the time I would have bought that instead. Now, I am on month to month, under the old terms, that means I have no monthly data limit. If I get the MIFI I would have to sign a new contract, thus placing myself under the 5 gig limit.

NOT! Ymmv

bskalexis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mifi and the iPad (a marriage made in heaven)

For anyone who is not familiar with mifi it is a verizon's 3G signal. You activate it on your PC or Mac and then you use it like a roaming hot spot. You do not need to attach it to your computer or your ipad after activation. It automatically sees your ipad and computer after you authenticate once. It is about as big as 6 credit cards staked on top of one another. It costs $50 and there are a couple of data plans. I travel all over the US and this is extremely valuable. You do not need to wait for ATT's slow 3G service. People need to get educated on what this is. Incidentally, this device handles 5 concurrent connections. There is an SSID and a Password written on the bottom of the MiFi. There is even an ipad app to monitor your data usage and battery life. There is a 4 hr rechargable battery.

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swdp you said yesterday that you used the verizon palm pre to connect the ipad to the internet. I have spent a lot of time with Verizon and everybody I talk to says the only way you can use palm pre as a connection to the web is using a usb cable to the laptop & ipad does not have usb. I tried to by the Palm pre plus for that purpose & Verizon keeps saying no. Any ideas? thanking you jim_joh

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MiFI is not exclusive to verizon it's also available from Sprint. Also Mifi is not the only personal hotspot device. The Sierra overdrive hot spot device works with 4g or 3g depending on what's available where you are. Although only Sprint has 4g currently in the US AFAIK.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For anyone who is not familiar with mifi it is a verizon's 3G signal. You activate it on your PC or Mac and then you use it like a roaming hot spot. You do not need to attach it to your computer or your ipad after activation. It automatically sees your ipad and computer after you authenticate once. It is about as big as 6 credit cards staked on top of one another. It costs $50 and there are a couple of data plans. I travel all over the US and this is extremely valuable. You do not need to wait for ATT's slow 3G service. People need to get educated on what this is. Incidentally, this device handles 5 concurrent connections. There is an SSID and a Password written on the bottom of the MiFi. There is even an ipad app to monitor your data usage and battery life. There is a 4 hr rechargable battery.

I'm talking about the Verizon mifi.

Where did you find the iPad app to monitor mifi?

I routinely get 5 plus hours on the mifi.

Mifi can be had for zero dollars - call verizon but it requires a 2 year contract.

Mifi can be activated just like any other verizon device - simply activate your esn. I have 2 mifi's and have never connected either via USB.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sure - you can turn your PC/Mac into a wireless hotspot for internet sharing, but that is not the point.

A typical household will have internet by cable/dsl and will be able to use a typical wireless access point.

The Mifi (or other similar devices) are for the travelers and business people. When it comes to internet access everywhere where you have GSM (3G) coverage.

What is the point turning on my pc/mac, enable internet sharing and then turn on my iPad to surf the web??? (ok, I can leave my PC and sit on my sofa)....

But on my MacBook Pro I would have tabbed browsing, multitasking, etc. so by any means - more comfort.

And this won't change until Apple releases iPad OS 4.0.

And when it comes to traveling, you still could use a built-in 3G-modem, or a 3G-stick. BUT both will drain the battery of your main device. NOT with a Mifi-device, as wireless usage typically has not a very big influence on the battery life.

In comparison for my MacBook Pro 15" - 2.66GHz:

Battery life:

only Wifi: 5.5 hours
3G stick: 2.5 hours

Mifi battery life: 5 hours.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm talking about the Verizon mifi.

Where did you find the iPad app to monitor mifi?

I routinely get 5 plus hours on the mifi.

Mifi can be had for zero dollars - call verizon but it requires a 2 year contract.

Mifi can be activated just like any other verizon device - simply activate your esn. I have 2 mifi's and have never connected either via USB.

Zero dollars?

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting the one from sprint.. It should definitely work. Just like wifi

Specialk0449

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Verizon MIFI device yesterday. I activated it and was surfing in about 30 minutes. I have been a Mobile Broadband customer for over 5 years. For me is it the best option because I have it setup to connect to my 2 laptops, 2 net books, my Apple Powerbook and my iPad. At home I connect to my wireless network. This way I am always connected whether at home or out and about.

Techdad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinking about trading in my usb wifi dongle from sprint that I used to connect my laptop and going for the Verizon mifi connection, this way I can use my ipad(no 3g) as well. It's a little more bang for the buck !

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I have a no 3G ijpad hut I'm leaning towards the sprint overdrive which supports 4g. Not in my state yet but hopefully soon

juliakatte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Major Carriers in the United Kingdom

For those who are interested, O2, Orange and Vodafone are all in talks with Apple. The news will be edited as it comes in.

tpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I returned my MiFi and turned off my AT&T card both today. I went with the Clear 2 on the go set up.

I got the modem for home use and the USB/clearspot for on the road. The 2 setups will run $82.00 per month.

I have no other Internet options at my Texas home.

So far the modem is very fast.

Most reactions

Latest posts