What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi using MiFi

MTCason

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've put my MiFi through its iPad paces. It does drain the battery faster, in about 5-7 hours with continuous use, but that's certainly good enough to last until I can get somewhere to charge it up, again. Can't say enough about how fast and stable it is, too. Have been using mine almost continuously for the last five days, and haven't had the first hiccup with MiFi. In this part of the country, at least (southeast Tennessee), Verizon's coverage is vastly superior to AT&T's. The alternative to AT&T's 3G coverage (and the fact that work pays for my MiFi and its unlimited data plan) is a large part of what encouraged me to take the plunge and buy an iPad in the first place, and it has confirmed itself as a worthwhile investment in that respect.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you are tethering your mifi (not sure what the point of that would be....) your mifi does not drain your battery any more or less than having a WIFI connection would. One of the reasons we get such good battery life is that our single threaded world makes it so.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question for the MiFi users. I am on VZW with a Blackberry Storm and the data plan. Does the MiFi have an additional data plan cost over and above the blackberry data plan? Thanks, I am stuck with this phone until the fall, then I need to decide what to do next. I do not want another 40 a month bill on my cell bill. It is already outrageous as it is.

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mtcason. Are you talking about the batteries in the wifi or the ipad? If it is the wifi then that is pretty good jim_joh

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little off topic but I connected to someone's Palm Pre + on VZW the other day and the iPad worked fine on this as well. For those that don't know the PP+ can output VZW Wifi on it's own, just like a Mifi. The feature is now FREE as well! I think it was $30 when it came out but VZW is offering the feature at no charge.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I am not shelling out another 60.00 a month. Almost everywhere I do i am able to connect to a WiFi. I will have to wait and switch to Droid-which I am not crazy about, although who know when the Iphone will actually go live with VZW.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone PC literate enough to try setting up a Laptop to be a WIFI source?

I am wondering if I get a USB mobile card for my Dell laptop, then connect to the laptop with BT to the IPad and then access the internet on the IPad?

Alternately I think there is a way to set up a personal network on the laptop, and then connect to the IPad......

I am really reaching here, but I am wondering if anyone has an idea if this would work before I try it and mess up the whole shootin match.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why bother with tethering and paying for a usb mobile card when you can just use mifi or overdrive and connect up to 5 devices at once and choose what to take. No need to take the laptop if you just need the ipad ect.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why bother with tethering and paying for a usb mobile card when you can just use mifi or overdrive and connect up to 5 devices at once and choose what to take. No need to take the laptop if you just need the ipad ect.
I mainly need my PC as I still earn a living with it.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your missing my point. You can connect multiple devices with mifi including your laptop so why not use mifi instead of tethering

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your missing my point. You can connect multiple devices with mifi including your laptop so why not use mifi instead of tethering
59.00 for the device with a 2 year contract at 59.00 per month for the verizon mifi 2200.

I am frugal..... ok, lets call it what it is, I am cheap. The USB is moving out of the spotlight so the rates and the device charges are cheaper than the new whiz-bang Mifi 2200 wifi access point.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are missing another point.

At your home you pay for internet service by whatever means you choose and then through a wireless router for your wireless access.

On the road you use the Myfi for that internet access and the wireless access.

When you can show us such a device that can do all this device can...please let us know.

Cya

Most reactions

Latest posts