What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi Tether a Motorola Droid to an iPad

Hourvitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anxious to hear

Has anyone tethered thier Droid running 2.1 to the Ipad? Is there a way to do it without rooting?

Thanks

lsymmonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Rooting my Droid

Has anyone been able to do this on a Droid with the 2.1-update 1?

Are you rooted on 2.1?

I have not rooted my phone yet. It's at the 2.1 build. The video contained in the link above does not say you have to roll back to v2.0 before rooting. Why would I need to do this and what would happen if I just rooted from V2.1?

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to do this on a Droid with the 2.1-update 1?

Are you rooted on 2.1?

I have not rooted my phone yet. It's at the 2.1 build. The video contained in the link above does not say you have to roll back to v2.0 before rooting. Why would I need to do this and what would happen if I just rooted from V2.1?

Unless there has been a 2.1 root released today, you need root access to run barnacle and you don't have root access with just 2.1 fw

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm doing wireless tether with my rooted droid.. Im worried that verizon will charge me for tethering but oh well... I just couldn't justify paying for the 3G radio version of the iPad when i already had my droid rooted. Has anyone went over the 5gb per month on tether? I know they say it's unlimited but I still don't trust them

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you rooted on 2.1?

Unless there has been a 2.1 root released today, you need root access to run barnacle and you don't have root access with just 2.1 fw

Yep I haven't heard of anyone rooting 2.1 yet either. Hope they do it soon because I definitely want to tether with my iPad/Droid combo, but the disclaimers on the "roll back to 2.0.1" threads out there have convinced me to be a little patient.

Last edited:

EE_Chris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you roll back to 2.0.1 and root, you then install a version of 2.1 that has root access*. You end up with the 2.1 upgrade (with its new widgets, live wallpapers, etc) and root access, which allows you to install Barnacle or the other wifi-tether.apk. It's actually quite easy to do, as is going back to the stock non-rooted 2.1, if one wished to do so.

*I'm not suggesting that 2.1 has been rooted (because it hasn't, from what I know) but for the purposes of being able to install apps that require root access, this works like a champ.

TheFishyTuna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the update for my Droid (so I'm now running 2.1), and I really want to tether it to my iPad. I've read instructions on downgrading back to 2.0.1, but they made me pretty nervous, especially since I'm on a Mac and I'm pretty sure I'd mess something up and end up screwing up my Droid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you roll back to 2.0.1 and root, you then install a version of 2.1 that has root access*. You end up with the 2.1 upgrade (with its new widgets, live wallpapers, etc) and root access, which allows you to install Barnacle or the other wifi-tether.apk. It's actually quite easy to do, as is going back to the stock non-rooted 2.1, if one wished to do so.

*I'm not suggesting that 2.1 has been rooted (because it hasn't, from what I know) but for the purposes of being able to install apps that require root access, this works like a champ.

That's exactly what I did and it's working very well. Droid-life.com is a great place to find out how to do that stuff with vids.

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I flashed back to 2.0.1 and ran DMUpdater to root the phone, but no matter how many times I try the Volume Up and Camera button together it never loads the menu you need for the next step. Phone starts fine though if not entering Recovery mode so I'm at a loss.

Most reactions

Latest posts