What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Signal Strength APP?

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it with a quick search:

Is there a reason there are no WiFi Signal Strength Apps (unless you jailbreak)? I'd like to measure the WiFi signal in my house, with more information than just the three bars. I use inSSIDer on my PC to get detailed information. An app for the iPad would be very convenient and a great utility.

If there's one available, please let me know.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question, hopefully there is an answer as it would be a useful app.
I try to get a better idea of signal strength by using the FCC Test App. It's not perfect as the tests can vary by quite a bit, since it is designed to measure broadband, however I find that it is much more informative than the three bar indicator.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TBH, I've wanted this too but it seems only to exist on android. Don't know why, though.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple felt that were abusing the feature so they pulled all of them.

I would pick up a cheap Android phone used and use it for a WiFi analyzer. When I switched to iOS 13 months ago, I kept my Droid around just for that reason.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TBH, I've wanted this too but it seems only to exist on android. Don't know why, though.
I might be wrong, but the only think I can came up with is that Apple does not want you to know actual strength of internal WiFi antennas.

OP
C

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One said:
Apple felt that were abusing the feature so they pulled all of them.

I would pick up a cheap Android phone used and use it for a WiFi analyzer. When I switched to iOS 13 months ago, I kept my Droid around just for that reason.

That's interesting. I still don't understand what would be considered abuse?

It just seems like a logical utility to help improve your home router placement or find its weakness. I don't see why apple would be threatened by it.

Next time someone comes over with an android device I'll ask them to help me out. Then they can make fun of ios for a change.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Technically you could abuse the tool to find "hidden" WiFi networks, which would then allow you to attack it. While probably 99.9% of all users of the app would never do that, there is always the .1% Apple has to worry about.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's interesting. I still don't understand what would be considered abuse?

It just seems like a logical utility to help improve your home router placement or find its weakness. I don't see why apple would be threatened by it.

Next time someone comes over with an android device I'll ask them to help me out. Then they can make fun of ios for a change.

I have Android tablets and WiFi analyzer is a great tool. I use it for 2 reasons (none of them is to attack any of networks), one is verify connection strength and second to see what channel is used least by others so I will use it for my connection. I do not know if this answers your question or not, but if you have question I will try to answer it.

OP
C

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technically you could abuse the tool to find "hidden" WiFi networks, which would then allow you to attack it. While probably 99.9% of all users of the app would never do that, there is always the .1% Apple has to worry about.

I never even thought of that aspect.

OP
C

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Android tablets and WiFi analyzer is a great tool. I use it for 2 reasons (none of them is to attack any of networks), one is verify connection strength and second to see what channel is used least by others so I will use it for my connection. I do not know if this answers your question or not, but if you have question I will try to answer it.

I use inSSIDer on my PC to measure signal strength inside my house. I just thought it would be nice to have the same capability with my iPad, plus it would be a lot more convenient.

I was just wondering if Apple ever addressed this or gave a reason why they won't allow the app. Skull One probably has the answer to my question.

Thanks!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Speedtest X HD Thats how i know that I rarely get more than 2 Mb/s. the joys of living in the country.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Frankly, I'm having a bit of a hard time accepting this. Anyone can use anything for the wrong reasons or in ways not intended. Apple can't police everything. I wasn't among the iOS crowd in the early days, so I have to accept your word as to why they pulled wifi detectors from the app store. It seems like a horrible mistake to me. No matter to me, though, as I have 3 other devices that have WIFI Analyzer installed, but others aren't as nuts as I am. :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what tipped me over the edge to jailbreak my iPhone. Wifi analyzer is a wonderful tool. Not having it would likely tip me to start liking android more as my phone.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zphone said:
This is what tipped me over the edge to jailbreak my iPhone. Wifi analyzer is a wonderful tool. Not having it would likely tip me to start liking android more as my phone.

I'm with you there. My contract is almost up and android phones are becoming attractive to me. They are getting great battery life, screen and app quality has really improved. Drap-n-Drop files to SD card for easy file management, These are little things but little things I would use a lot. I know, Dropbox, or a Wireless Hard Drives etc, but hey I got the phone right hear in my pocket. Don't get me wrong I love my iPad but...

"Post with pictures it helps everyone"

Most reactions

Latest posts