What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Signal Strength Terrible

MrLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New here and this may have been discussed already, but here goes!-My MacBook, MacBook Pro & iPod Touch (1st Generation) all get a GREAT signal from our Airport Extreme. BUT, our iPod Touch (2nd Generation) and new iPad (WiFi) get terrible signal strength unless we're right next to the AE!! Tech support at Apple is of no help! I'm ready to sell them all! This all started when we got the last OS update for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. So it must be a software issue not a hardware one..
We love the iPad and were planning on getting 2 more, but now.....:confused:Any ideas?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
#1 update ipad to latest firmware 3.2.1 this update has wifi issues fixed.

#2 log into the airport Extreme and set encryption to WPA2 and then Change the Wifi Channel. Dont leave the channel on auto. If you have neighbors with wifi they could be interfering with yours, changing the channels to one that they are not using should help.

#3 Do you have cordless phones in your house? Some cordless phone are known to interfere with Wifi. Unplug all cordless phone base stations and check if you still have problems with wifi.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Run some scanning software on one of your macs and check out the local airwaves. Then switch to an unused channel.
Sorry I can't advise as I'm win7 here.

OP
M

MrLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked Fine Til iOS4 Update

Everything worked fine on the iPods & iPad UNTIL the iOS4 update.

OP
M

MrLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using "automatic" Channel. Any suggestions on which channel to? use WPA/WPA 2

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Best channes of choice are 1, 6, and 11. But not if your neighbors are already using those channels. Try and find an open channel as far from other ones being used as possible. You can download the program called KisMAC for you MAC and see all the networks in reach of your house and what channels they are using.

you can also try turning off auto brightness in iphone/ipad settings. iPad had wifi issues with autobrightness turned on, however this has been fixed in 3.2.1.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything worked fine on the iPods & iPad UNTIL the iOS4 update.
I find it interesting that you would have a WiFi problem with your iPad after you updated our iPod to iOS4 since there is no iOS4 for the iPad.

OP
M

MrLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I got the # wrong. Anyway, it's the update in June I think it was- the last one.

Most reactions

Latest posts