What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi Problem

bjb148

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my 16gb, ATT, 3G IPad 2 since March 22 with absolutely no problems until a day ago. It looses the Internet connection after about 30 seconds on my home ATT U-verse wireless network. This doesn't happen in business establishments with wifi, nor does it happen with my husband's IPad 2 on our home network. I've tried restarting the IPad which will renew the Internet for about 30 sec's. I also tried "forgetting" the wifi network and re-entering the password but then it again looses the connection after about 30 sec's. I also tried syncing with iTunes on my pc desktop. I have the latest software version. I received the message that I couldn't back up the IPad on that computer although I have several times before. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed further other than call AppleCare or ATT...but which one?

Thanks for any input anyone has.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You say that you've tried 'forgetting' the network connections but I'm not exactly sure what you've done here so, just in case, try this if you haven't already...

1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.

Get back to us if the problem persists....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should also try restarting your router, if you haven't done so. Turn it off for a couple minutes, then turn it back on.

OP
B

bjb148

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim and Twer,

Thanks so much! I followed your instructions and everything is working beautifully now. Are you guys angels or something?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nah, Tim is Superman. I'm just the guy who keeps telling him capes are dangerous. Many a super hero has been lost to poor costume design. {Just found my copy of The Incredibles in an old box of DVDs} :D

emthom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem! I tried the solutions you recommended with no improvement. I can see the WiFi network on my ipad and it appears to connect after I enter the password, but I still cannot connect to the internet. I called ATT Uverse and they said my wireless appears to be working on their end and that they don't "support" the iPad so couldn't help me any further. Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Enthom - welcome to the forum! :)

Now you've 'jumped in' on another thread (i.e. hijacking) which can cause confusion and not generate a response to your problem since your post is buried - if a solution is not suggested, then start a 'new' thread and state your problem specifically.

But just to start since the previous suggestions have not worked according to your post, turn off both your modem and your router (may need to just pull the power plugs), wait a minute or so and then power on the modem followed by the router. If that does not work, you might want to 'turn off' the security on your router just to see if you can connect w/o a password.

You can re-post here or start a new thread in which you will likely get more attention; if you start a new thread, place in the appropriate forum - good luck! :)

emthom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the help, I appreciate it... Sorry to be a highjacker :)

jrstar7171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emthom said:
I'm having the same problem! I tried the solutions you recommended with no improvement. I can see the WiFi network on my ipad and it appears to connect after I enter the password, but I still cannot connect to the internet. I called ATT Uverse and they said my wireless appears to be working on their end and that they don't "support" the iPad so couldn't help me any further. Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Get app WiFi Hd Free it will automatically fix your wifi locations.

Ron

jrstar7171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jrstar7171 said:
Get app WiFi Hd Free it will automatically fix your wifi locations.

Ron

I just found the IOS5 removed the only 2 FiWi apps that used to fix this problem. I am trying to find out why. I paid for them now there
uninstalled, also some music I had paid for. Trouble with Jailbreak is FaceTime is lost if jail breaking. Not happy with Ghost either.

nbeard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem described at the beginning of this thread. Bought my wife a new I-Pad for Christmas but will not connect to our AT&T U-verse router (2Wire720). I have pulled the power cord on the router to reset it, I have reset the network settings on the I-pad to no avail. With the help of my more technical son, have established a new wireless network name. Still having the same problem: normally the I-Pad is not even finding the U-verse router. A few times, the router name did come up and the I-Pad tried to establish a connection, only to be kicked off after a few seconds. I took the I-Pad to a local McDonalds, where I easily connected to their router there, so I do not believe the I-Pad is the problem.
I did call AT&T for help. After a few attempts on their part, they referred me to a third-party service that wanted to charge me for analyzing the issue. I refused (with a little bit of anger!!@!) believing this is a problem with the AT&T router.
Help from anyone would be appreciated.

nbeard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the update for the post above. Went to the Apple Store here in Kansas City. They analyzed the I-pad and determined that it had a bad WIFI card. Swapped out the I-pad for a new one. Able to connect to U-verse now with no problem. Wife is indeed happy!

Most reactions