What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free wifi hotspot connectivity issues

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and most people have issues with connecting to their home network. However I'm searching for anyone who could assist me with problems that I'm having connecting to Internet when I'm at places offering free wifi. My issue is that it appears that I am connected however when I try to access the Internet it says that I'm not connected. I go in settings and it shows me connected to the free wifi. How do I resolve this issue. I have a 32 gb wifi only iPad 2. Muchos gracias!

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tennesseebrowneyes said:
I've searched the forums and most people have issues with connecting to their home network. However I'm searching for anyone who could assist me with problems that I'm having connecting to Internet when I'm at places offering free wifi. My issue is that it appears that I am connected however when I try to access the Internet it says that I'm not connected. I go in settings and it shows me connected to the free wifi. How do I resolve this issue. I have a 32 gb wifi only iPad 2. Muchos gracias!

Sounds like they have mac filtering on

Each wifi device has a unique mac address, they may have to add your mac address to the allowed list

Hedgie - Mmm Cali Lewis!

Last edited:

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where are you connecting, if you don't mind me asking? Starbucks? McDonalds?

bearswatchin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try opening a browser and allowing the hotspot to give you their rules and regulations page. Somewhere on that page will be a dialog for accepting these R&R. At least, this is what my experience has been. Once you accept, all should be well.

bw

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Turn WiFi off, go to a different position, turn WiFi on and re-attempt to connect to a website with a browser.

Jerry666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem: I connect to an unsecured wireless router provided by my residential building. That works fine, and in order to access the Internet, I enter my authentication details in the first browser window that comes up. However, I need to change my authentication details to another account; but, I get logged in automatically when I open my browser and never see the login browser window. I don't know if the login data is being sent by Safari or if my MAC is recognized and that causes the auto-login. Any suggestions on how to keep from being automatically logged in? I did try the "forget this network", but that doesn't do anything because that just applies to the wireless access point that I'm connecting to, I think. Stumped, I am, Iam.

UPDATE: Of course after I submitted this question, I found the answer. I'm not exactly sure which action cleared the problem, but after someone suggested that I go to Settings >> Safari and clear my cookies, etc. and in Wi-Fi use "forget network", turning off "ask to join", powering off, then powering on and trying again, the browser login screen appeared! I think it was probably the cookies, but not positive. Anyway, fixed!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts