What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi/network switching

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
since iOS 10 was installed, my tablet is constantly Telling me I am not connected to internet . What is Happening is in settings. In WiFi it puts
The network beside that heading and the
Printer name in the Network space. I have to
Change it back almost every time I open my mini2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Wi-Fi settings tap the (i) icon next to the printer network and choose to Forget This Network.

The iPad should now automatically select your home network (as long as it has a good signal. If you want the printer's network, go ahead and add it back in.

If that does not work, try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, then re-add your primary wi-fi network. Be sure to had your main network first.

Note: Make sure you know your home's wi-fi network settings and password before you try the Reset or Forget any networks.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ThanksTwerppoet,will try if we can find the password. That was all set up by the
Install people a few years ago and we really don't know where to look for it. Why
Would this abberation occur in the first place? Was it IOS 10 .?
Many thanks for a reply.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like your printer creates a small wi-fi network so devices can connect with it. It's not uncommon. Somehow or other your iPad decided that the printer's network was the primary network, so it connects to that by preference.

Forgetting the printer's network will stop the iPad from automatically connecting to it. But, if connecting to the printer directly (using a printing app) was how you normally print, then that feature will go away unless you add the printer again. If you know how to re-add the printer, it should not be a problem. The iPad usually picks networks by when they were added. First come, first found, so re-adding the printer should make it the second choice.

If you don't use a printing app and the printer's wi-fi to print, then deleting the printer's conneciton from the iPad shouldn't be a problem.

Reseting the all network settings shouldn't be necessary unless deleting the printer network alone does not work.

Even if deleting the printer alone works, you should still find out what your wi-fi password is and keep it in a safe place. You never know when it might be necessary.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a proud owner of a iPad mini 2 myself I have to say I have never seen this happen but I do know wifi can be sporadic from time to time.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It sounds like your printer creates a small wi-fi network so devices can connect with it. It's not uncommon. Somehow or other your iPad decided that the printer's network was the primary network, so it connects to that by preference.

Forgetting the printer's network will stop the iPad from automatically connecting to it. But, if connecting to the printer directly (using a printing app) was how you normally print, then that feature will go away unless you add the printer again. If you know how to re-add the printer, it should not be a problem. The iPad usually picks networks by when they were added. First come, first found, so re-adding the printer should make it the second choice.

If you don't use a printing app and the printer's wi-fi to print, then deleting the printer's conneciton from the iPad shouldn't be a problem.

Reseting the all network settings shouldn't be necessary unless deleting the printer network alone does not work.

Even if deleting the printer alone works, you should still find out what your wi-fi password is and keep it in a safe place. You never know when it might be necessary.

Hi Twerppoet.i really appreciate your long ,full of information post.and it is in plain english,so I can understand it. Thanks mucho.
Can you tell me how I could find that password ? The fellow that installed
And set up all that stuff must have used one but we have no record
Of it. I am afraid to use the 'forget this network',as I will need
To put the printer back in use and if a pw is required, I'll
Be Stuck.
Thanks again. Doris

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your installer should have had you pick a password, or given you one. If you don't have it then either they have it on record and should be able to provide it, or they will have to reset the router and create a new password. Either way, you'll need to contact your provider.

The printer probably does not have a password. You can see if a network is password protected by whtyher it has a lock symbol next to the network name in the Wi-Fi settings.

Image.jpeg

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Doris, It does depend on the Router, but you may find the password on a label attached to the bottom or back of the Router itself. It's worth a look.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And just as wild guesses, you might try the following when trying to log onto the router:
UID: admin
password: <blank> and by that I mean blank, not the word blank.... which is rather confusing to express over the 'net!

I assume you're trying to log into the router via: 192.168.1.0... or 192.168.0.1?

Most reactions

Latest posts