What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 Backup

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pinkipad said:
Hm, I open and it shows Categories. On the bottom are links but none say devices. No left sidebar.

Online, the iTunes page has no sidebar, just lots of text.

I do remember seeing a left hand sidebar but cant remember which app/website. I suffer severe memory loss due to my recent illness.

You have toopen itunes on your desktop or laptop computer in order to back up the iPad.

ITunes on the iPad is only the iTunes store, not the application for playing music and such.

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have toopen itunes on your desktop or laptop computer in order to back up the iPad.

ITunes on the iPad is only the iTunes store, not the application for playing music and such.

Thank you! Being so unfamiliar with MAC and iTunes I feel somewhat lost.

Unless the iPad is jail broken, it will not support an external drive cable connected. It will work with a new Seagate wireless external.

Ok, I think I got it! I buy the external wireless drive, hook it up to my iPad, the open iTunes on the Netbook and I'll see the options screen to backup, Then open the iPad and specify in iTunes what I want to do, partial, full, etc.

Before I became I'll, I had 150+ websites - all hand coded by me. Computers were second nature to me, as was Windows.

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am about to order Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage

I will assume I'll need no cables since it is wireless so nothing else needed. Open iTunes on netbook, set it to backup (after installing software from the Seagate I imagine), and walk away!

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds good. Let us know how you did.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am about to order Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage

I will assume I'll need no cables since it is wireless so nothing else needed. Open iTunes on netbook, set it to backup (after installing software from the Seagate I imagine), and walk away!

I've looked at reviews of the GoFlex Satellite and the concept sounds great but the reviews have generally been pretty bad.

I looks like it should (but doesn't do a good job) be capable of streaming data (music, video) but I could not find any reference to it being able to be used as a backup for the iPad.

I am really looking forward to hearing how you find it, what you can do with it, especially if you can backup your iPad, how useful and reliable it is for you.

Please post your comments on it after you're given it a try.

kessham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the GoFlex Satellite, and as a place to hold lots of videos and music to play on the iPad without hogging the iPad's memory (or lack of it) it is great. Still has some design problems with how it organizes video files that make finding, for instance, the episode of a TV series you want, but when it sends the episode to your iPad for viewing, it looks just great. Of course, I got mine for free from the Amazon Vine Program. For $199 retail, I wouldn't buy it. For $79, I would.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone used a western digital drive that offers wireless? Best Buy has a new display of (I think) my book drives that says that access would be available over the internet.

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked at reviews of the GoFlex Satellite and the concept sounds great but the reviews have generally been pretty bad.

I looks like it should (but doesn't do a good job) be capable of streaming data (music, video) but I could not find any reference to it being able to be used as a backup for the iPad.

I am really looking forward to hearing how you find it, what you can do with it, especially if you can backup your iPad, how useful and reliable it is for you.

Please post your comments on it after you're given it a try.

I wrote to Seagate Support to ask which of their mobile hard drives would be best to backup the iPad and they made the suggestion. I'm waiting for mine to arrive and after it's set up, I'll run a backup and post what it does.

Of course, the real test wiould be a complete crash followed by a restore and I'm not too anxious to test that out!

Peta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in a real mess!!!

I backed up iTunes to my external hard drive. When I opened my iPad it redownloaded all of my apps.

However it still will not sync, and iTunes tells me to 'restore'. I'm concerned that if I do that I lose all of my purchases, and I don't know how to get them back from the external copy of iTunes.

Help please!

Peta

Most reactions

Latest posts