What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi dropping out after 4.3 upgrade

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here we go again!

Immediately after upgrading to OS 4.3, my WiFi connection drops a couple of times an hour. I tried all of the published fixes from the last OS upgrade WiFI problems with no success.

I can reconnect by "forgetting" and reestablishing the connection or turning Airplane mode on and off.

I had the same problem with the last OS upgrade and I returned that iPad to Apple and got one with the OS before that. That worked fine until I "upgraded" to 4.3.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*
Hopefully this may help. Let us know if it fixes the issue please.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Billee, I had the same problem with 4.2. When it didn't get better on 4.3 I scurried back to 3.2.1 and this is where I'm staying until everyone consistently has NO wifi problems. I had 4.2.1 the past month or so and was really hoping 4.3 would work and not drop the wifi like 4.2.1. No such luck.
Now that I'm back on 3.2.1 it's reeeaaaallllly nice not having to keep going back and resetting my wifi every hour.
PS Col Bris, I read your fix some time back and while I appreciate you posting it, it didn't work for me.

colangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wifi connection drop

I had the problem since christmas and finally solved it. I hooked up my PC directly to my Belkin N+ routers wired port and typed in 192.168.2.1 in my browser. Once in (no password required) I clicked on "Guest" and enabled this function. I made up a password and applied changes. After that, My Ipad worked fine for the first time in months. This works for Belkin N+ Routers only.

Last edited:

limey-g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well since the upgrade fingers crossed I have had no wifi drop outs.
Things also seem to be a little speedier .
Hope it continues.
Geoff

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same...found that my belkin had a very strange setting where it had a "license" which would expire, I found this whilst tinkering with wifi settings on my laptop..not sure what it meant but when I went to the admin page for my belkin there it was. Set to expire the wifi connection every 2.5 hours. Turned that off and no more issues...it looked like some strange security protocol.

bresson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought my iPad in October. I asked the Apple store manager straight in face if Apple had resolved the Wifi issue. His reply, not unexpected, was he had never heard of a Wifi issue with the iPad.

All seem ok with the iPad until the upgrade to iOS 4. Since the upgrade, I've already sent the iPad back to Apple for a related WIFI issue which was only partially resolved by Apple. Then I notice how slow and pixelated netflix movies appear. Testing the iPad's download speed, I discovered it was downloading less than half the speed of of my Macbook Air and netbook. Further, the iPad became slow usually in the evenings. No, there is no interference as I live in a rural area and the Macbook Air and netbook do not suffer the same download speeds. I don't think the issue is router related either as my wireless is distributed by Apple's Airport Express.

Upgrading to iOS 4.3 was a huge disappointment as my download speed remains in the basement. At this point, I'm no longer willing to listen to Apple's customer service offer to exchange my iPad for a refurbished model if they cannot fix the issue. This is truly lousy and I'm considering legal channels to vent my frustration at this overhyped tablet.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tested the connection on another wifi hot spot ? The point I will make majority of wifi issues are caused by modem Router problems I realize you have an airport xoress however it may need an upgrade to fix the issue. Personally I would upgrade your network to a netgear n 600 as I am sure the problem will vanish. I understand the MacBook pro etc are faster however new generation devices have different n setups than older computers. I would also look at the security settings in the xpress as changing them may also fix it

What I am saying is very few users have problems with wifi once they upgrade their networks or change security settings

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have comcast high speed wireless Internet with Netgear router. Not sure the model number. I never once had it drop my signal or connection after upgrading iOS. Since first time linking it, never had to add in info again. Just cut wifi on in my apt., then connects instantly everytime. I love the ease of that. And I do use the more secure passcode key also. Sorry to hear these issues going on with wifi as I've never experienced it. I know it would be a pain for me, especially if my other devices are working fine on the network. Hope y'all get this resolved sooner thn later.

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Likewise. No issues. Don't assume that because you're dropping WiFi it is the iPad/software. Since the iPad WiFi would be connected "to" a modem/router, it will be dropped "by" said equipment - not simply fall off. It's just as annoying but different cause.

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here we go again! Immediately after upgrading to OS 4.3, my WiFi connection drops a couple of times an hour. I tried all of the published fixes from the last OS upgrade WiFI problems with no success.

I can reconnect by "forgetting" and reestablishing the connection or turning Airplane mode on and off.

I'm not sure why it matters but - why are you turning your airplane mode "on and off" or on for that matter. You shouldn't need to do that for anything.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Well ~ I upgraded a few days ago, but now, this minute, for some reason I can't access the internet on my iPad.:(

I am following these instructions, Colin. About to turn it back on.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well ~ I upgraded a few days ago, but now, this minute, for some reason I can't access the internet on my iPad.:(

I am following these instructions, Colin. About to turn it back on.

It worked!

But ~ I am using the 3G, not my wifi. How come, because I am at home. I think I always use wifi at home, right? And 3G out in the field.

I am confused....:confused:

hsuthard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue after the upgrade to 4.3. I turn wifi off and then back on to reestablish a connection, every 20 minutes or so. It happened immediately after upgrading, and I've had my iPad or a year without any other issues (after grappling with this issue initially and working with Apple to resolve it last April). I haven't tried it yet with other networks, it's worth a shot.

Most reactions