What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Booster - Paid Tweak

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this keep you from losing your signal on your home network if the signal gets weak on the other end of the house?

Mel

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
In the US that's illegal. :D

Wait, so if someone leaves their network open, you cant use it? I dont know if its illegal in canada, but if it is, then thats pretty dumb :/

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it helped me stay connected in the back bedroom.....but the signal was so weak I couldn't do anything.

Mel

iRaptor25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually cant successfully browse on the weakest connections normally shown, heh.

However I do see the utility in knowing what wifi networks are around, like if you see one for some mcdonalds or something and really need wifi you can head over there.

WyldRyce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could use this in some areas of my college where I get weak signal. Does it kill battery life though?

wikeaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
theoretically it will drain battery faster. see, while the ipad might not need to power its "receiving signal", but it will need to power up a bit more on the "sending" signal..

in general, expect more battery drain and hotter surface..

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
In the US that's illegal. :D

Wait, so if someone leaves their network open, you cant use it? I dont know if its illegal in canada, but if it is, then thats pretty dumb :/

Very illegal. You are highjacking/stealing there bandwidth that they pay for. Just like if you were to hook a shut off your power an then trench a line over and hook up behind there meter.

Don't get me wrong, i am all about using someone's Internet if they arent smart enough to lock it down, I have three different networks that I switch between for when I download torrents and do other activities of a frowed upon nature.

That and I feel jt is ny responsibility if they leave it as the default password to log into it, change the password and then setup a rerdirect that every site they go to goes to LIVE NUDE CATS Figure it's my civic duty to educate them through experiences they won't forget.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GenerationX said:

For example;
If you pay a hefty price for the best Internet available, would you like your neighbors using it just because you may not know how to put a password on your router?

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well it helped me stay connected in the back bedroom.....but the signal was so weak I couldn't do anything.

Mel

Couldn't do anything in the bedroom, hmm. Seriously, this app sounds really useful. I'll have to check it out. Lots of times I get weak signals and can't connect. Thanks for the lead.

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoneyGuy said:
Couldn't do anything in the bedroom, hmm. Seriously, this app sounds really useful. I'll have to check it out. Lots of times I get weak signals and can't connect. Thanks for the lead.

Yeah, I'm just going have to get a extended range router.

Mel

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
how exactly does this tweak work?

It removes the cutoff limit in the operating system which prevents weak signals from being displayed. It does NOTHING to the hardware in terms of boosting signal.
The theory behind this is that the cut-off point is a little too aggressive, and you are sometimes able to connect to a weak signal using this tweak which otherwise would not be available.

ftw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been looking for an app like this, thanks OP, gonna try it now

teamjm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, quite stupid question but when i Jailbreak my Ipad2. Is it still possible to buy apps and games from Itunes? Also do i still get updates with the apps i will be buying? the only updated i wont be getting is the OS. right?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, quite stupid question but when i Jailbreak my Ipad2. Is it still possible to buy apps and games from Itunes? Also do i still get updates with the apps i will be buying? the only updated i wont be getting is the OS. right?

Right!

The iPad will act just the same in this situation: You can buy apps from the App Store, receive updates and be just the same as if UNjailbroken. In fact, if you did nothing else to the iPad but jail break it, the only way you'd know it was jailbroken would be by the adding of the Cydia icon. It behaves no different - just has access to other "stuff."

The only thing you have to do different is not accept any upgrades offered to you by iTunes.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

Most reactions