What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi+3G?

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May be a strange or stupid question but im getting the wifi+3G 32GB Ipad. I no that using the 3G you got to buy a top up to use it out side of your wierless range of your own home. Ive got the BT home hub unlimited broadband. So that should be good out side in the garden with out having to use 3G. But the question is can you use other peoples wierless connection with out having to use or top up the 3g network?.

Also using your own wierless internet at home would i have to pay any more fees to use the net on the Ipad or would it use the braodband im on now and no extra fess?. (Not sure whever ive asked this one be for but just double checking)

Please ask if you dont understand the questions properly some times its hard for me to explain in words.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The ipad will use the WIFI in your home, or anywhere else, just like any laptop or other WIFI device. Since you are getting the one with 3g you will also be able to get connection when your are away from a WIFI hotspot. You will have a 3g carrier (I don't know what country you are in) that you will have an account with and pay for that service. There is no connection between the 3G and the WIFI services....

My ipad is WIFI only, and I never pay for a connection...... but I know that some public hotspots do charge, but that has nothing to do with the iPad.

OP
S

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Bremen. I live in the UK and got the O2 sim card to go with the 3G.

Wetstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skipper .. I am often corrected, but I believe I heard that WiFi has priority when there are two signals - WiFi/3G - available. Maybe you could do a test and report the results to confirm or correct. Cheers.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have 3G service, it should not matter which service you are on, unless one is a lot faster. Usually you can tell from the top left indicators whether you are on wifi or 3G. If you are not sure, you can look in settings.

Using a neighbor's wifi signal is up to you. If you have permission, the iPad will ask you if you want to join and you just hit yes.

Most reactions