What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-Fi Security

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got question about Wi-Fi security.

I have an iPad Air. I also have Facebook's app. Is it ok for me to log to Facebook using the FB app on a public Wi-Fi system. I just don't want to have someone hack into my FB account.

Thank for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It would be difficult. The FaceBook app is not going to send your password or username insecurely. The biggest risk in a public wi-fi system is the public. Shoulder surfing and/or other social engineering.

The second biggest risk is man-in-the-middle attacks. This is where someone sets up a wi-fi network pretending to be the main network. It's difficult to intercept things like passwords (as long as the site uses decent security), but a lot of your other information may be sent in the clear. It depends on the site and/or app.

To be prudently secure in a public wi-fi network you should do two things.

One, be aware of your surrounding.

Two, use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) solution. I've heard good things about Cloak. VPN creates an encrypted tunnel between you and your destination. Nothing the local network sees is in the clear.

To be supper secure, use a cellular connection and a VPN. While cellular is also susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks, the equipment and knowhow are rarer than wi-fi attacks. At least so far. It's getting easier and more popular.

Which reminds me, I've been intending to test out Cloak for myself. Normally, I just avoid doing any sensitive browsing off my home network. But then again, I don't consider FaceBook sensitive. I don't put or post things I care about there. At least things that aren't available in half a dozen other places.

Most reactions

Latest posts