What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-Fi Reception: mine is not good, how's yours?

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the update, my download speed has increased significantly (according to the Speedtest.net app). Before the update, I was getting about 8,000kb/sec down and 4,400kb/sec up. Now I am getting about 15,000kb/sec down and 4,400kb/sec up.

I ran across a site that tested 3.2 vs 3.2.1. Here is a pic of their results.
ipadwifi321.jpg

Article Link

OP
P

pcorreia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ended up going to Best Buy to test; I think it's my Router

Before I left on a Business Trip, I went down to Best Buy in Federal Way, WA. Talked w them about my issue. Was invited to walk around the store and see if I could reproduce my issue documented in the first entry of my original post. Really good WiFi response in Best Buy, all over the rather big store. It must be my Linksys Router at home. I bought a NetGear ??? Multi-band Router (~$100) to try out when I get back tomorrow. I'll document my results and post tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far!

antony6905

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WIFI Connectivity

Since I up dated the IPAD software 3.2.1 am now able to have good connectivity even when I i install the Weather Channel APP

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The update didn't make any noticeable improvement with WiFi reception with either me or my wife's iPad. Always worked good for me

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have experienced excellent reception on my Ipad. I would note that the first post stated 12 wireless devices. If a large number of these are active on a normal home router you may experience dropped connections from time to time. Depending of course on how many units you have active. At the risk of being ostracized on this site, Android offers an free wifi analyzer app that will make suggestions for your network connections in case you are having issues. I am sure there are similar apps for the Iphone and Ipad.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use an iPhone app called WiFiFoFum. Simple display of nearby networks and channels.
Don't know if it's still available but there are comparable ones available.

If you find one channel popular locally, always good to switch your modem to another.
Never had a wireless problem with the iPad, but then I bought a new modem at the same time......

Fool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is new and has only ran 3.2.1 but wifi is poor

I got it online from apple uk
So might take it to a store to see what they say.

BoxMaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently a few internet sites have referenced this issue. Also, I found on ifixit.com that the antenna is right behind the Apple logo on the back.

Here is what I did to fix my issue.... Turned the iPad upside down.

iPad right side up ( home button at bottom ) most sites take 30 seconds to come up if ever.

IPad upside down ( home button at top) sites come up rather snappy. Cool, but weird.

There must be some issue with polarization w the iPad antenna relative to the Wi-Fi Router antenna. Regardless it's pretty screwy to worry about how your iPad is rotated. Anyway, I experimented with multiple sites to make sure it wasn't server dependent. It isn't.

I' m going to try to reposition my router antenna tomorrow and see if that improves the situation any.

In the meantime, I'll be down side up!

I have the latest iPad updates and still experienced problems connecting in different part of my house and out on my deck. After reading this forum this morning, I tried holding my iPad upside down just briefly and sure enough I was able to connect. So now I can connect when even when I am outside on my deck by briefly holding the unit upside down. Once I connect then I seem to be able to hold the connection in the right side up position. Just need to make the initial connection.:):)

Ziller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi

I have an iPad Wi-Fi, not the 3G model. Cool device but worst Wi-Fi out of like 12 Wi-Fi enabled devices in the house. Running a Linksys 802.11n Router which enables Wi-Fi on my iPhone way out in my yard. The iPad has trouble operating 3 rooms away from the Router in the house! It shows high signal strength but the IPad has to be turned particular ways to get transfers to occur. Anyway, I just downloaded the new OS that says something about improving Wi-Fi connectivity. I don't see a difference really.

Does anyone else have Wi-Fi issues?

Is there any fix?
Ihave the latest os level and my reception is far worse than a very inexpesive net book.
I spoke to the technician at the apple store. He denied there were any wifi
Problems.

Meezers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a sledgehammer to my linksys yesterday. Airport extreme plus express as an extender. Tech support with AppleCare til it runs out on my MacBook. Fabulous connectivity. I have read that changing security settings on your router helps (wep). Also reset network settings on iPad. Good luck!

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine ipad is o.k. when close to the wireless router. Two rooms away my laptop is still fine but the ipad gets slow and sometimes drops the connection.

BoxMaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fixed all my connection problems yesterday! I went to Best Buy and purchased a Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router, model WNDR3700. That solved all my problems with connecting to my iPad anywhere in the house and out on the patio.

Life is good again.

RB2112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works fine and outside

No problems. Works fine inside the house and on the front & back patio (about 10ft.).

Most reactions

Latest posts