What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why wont Apple let me download apps to my iPad?

davetronic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple frequently drive me crazy!

Why is it not possible to get a wifi signal strength app, like on all android devices?
Why are some apps only available in the US?
Why are some half the price in the US, but I have to pay UK prices?
I want to download 1Pass Pro by iOS Lab, a password manager, cheap & has great reviews (not the expensive 1Password Pro by a different company). The App Store says only available in Singapore store, redirects me, then App Store says its only available in US store, redirects me, then locks up and dies.
I live in UK & Spain, work every month in Brazil and visit the US frequently, but I'm locked in this Apple straightjacket. I guess it has to do with extracting max money. I have no issues at all with an Android phone and would have bought an iPhone but for all this nonsense, so perhaps they are shooting themselves in the foot!
Can anybody explain why this is, or any way around it?
Again, I determined not to jailbreak my latest iPad, but now I'm thinking again.
Cheers
Dave

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple frequently drive me crazy!

Why is it not possible to get a wifi signal strength app, like on all android devices?
Why are some apps only available in the US?
Why are some half the price in the US, but I have to pay UK prices?
I want to download 1Pass Pro by iOS Lab, a password manager, cheap & has great reviews (not the expensive 1Password Pro by a different company). The App Store says only available in Singapore store, redirects me, then App Store says its only available in US store, redirects me, then locks up and dies.
I live in UK & Spain, work every month in Brazil and visit the US frequently, but I'm locked in this Apple straightjacket. I guess it has to do with extracting max money. I have no issues at all with an Android phone and would have bought an iPhone but for all this nonsense, so perhaps they are shooting themselves in the foot!
Can anybody explain why this is, or any way around it?
Again, I determined not to jailbreak my latest iPad, but now I'm thinking again.
Cheers
Dave

First off welcome, seems this is your first post and unanswered so I thought I'd reply. I don't understand the reason behind their being apps for specific areas only, I tried recently to download an app I have found via a search on the net but it wouldn't allow because I was in the UK. I believe it can be worked around by changing your a country in iTunes but I think you may have to have a US registered iTunes account so I'm not 100% on this so maybe someone else with better knowledge can help.

As for your wifi signal strength, do you mean like a speed test. I have found out things like this by a speed test site ( I won't insert links) but google speed test. I believe some of the sites do an app in iTunes.

The whole torn between apple devices and android devices will go on for ever, like anything there are pro's and con's.

I hope someone will come along and help answer your questions to the full.

(Big Business Game App - Player Name: Beaneys / City Name: kêl)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

There are quite a few apps to test your wifi speed and a search of the App Store will find them

Apps vary in all the App stores around the world and this is more to do with Government regulations in some regions or the Developers themselves only releasing their apps in certain regions.

You can however open another App Store account in the region of your choice. You will need another email address and as gmail does not denote a region, it is very good for this. You will also need an iTunes card for this region and these are easily available on the net. Look up an Apple store in the region of your choice and use this address for the account. Hope this helps.

OP
D

davetronic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

There are quite a few apps to test your wifi speed and a search of the App Store will find them

Apps vary in all the App stores around the world and this is more to do with Government regulations in some regions or the Developers themselves only releasing their apps in certain regions.

You can however open another App Store account in the region of your choice. You will need another email address and as gmail does not denote a region, it is very good for this. You will also need an iTunes card for this region and these are easily available on the net. Look up an Apple store in the region of your choice and use this address for the account. Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'm not after a wifi speed test! What I have on my android phone is a strength indicator. It is incredibly useful in hotels as it shows the relative strength of all available signals. I can then choose which to connect to, floor 1, lobby, pool, etc. depending on strength. It also easily shows a fluctuating signal, so you dont try and download then loses a connection! I read somewhere that apple ban these, not sure why.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes.. I'm running (iOS and Android).. I have an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Note II. I get the best of both worlds. Android has a great WiFi program called Wifi analyzer. Like davetronic points out, you can see everything WiFi around you with graphs and signal strength meters etc.. There is no such app for iOS.

OP
D

davetronic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm just getting more frustrated with this whole Apple straightjacket. I tried to get a few more (free) apps, the App Store said you need to change your country to the US. So I checked out how, went to settings, got right to the part for address and it won't let me get any further because I can't enter a valid State as I live in the UK. So although my mate has the game on his android in the UK, I can't have it with Apple. Seems u can only buy in the country u live in.

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with theForum Rules Please mind your language as this is a Family friendly Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm just getting more frustrated with this whole Apple straightjacket. I tried to get a few more (free) apps, the App Store said you need to change your country to the US. So I checked out how, went to settings, got right to the part for address and it won't let me get any further because I can't enter a valid State as I live in the UK. So although my mate has the game on his android in the UK, I can't have it with Apple. Seems u can only buy in the country u live in.

You could look up an address for an Apple store in the US and use that address.

Many members here have more than 1 App Store account and find it worthwhile and easy to manage.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you'd ease up and Google (or use the forum's search function), you'd find directions to do exactly what you're describing. Your frustration here is apparently being fed by your lack of searching.

I have accounts in several countries' app stores; I just googled the directions and followed them.

Android has its advantages (as I know with several Android devices), but so does iOS. It's just a matter of figuring out how to do things. If you lack patience to learn, then you might as well throw in the towel and move on.

OP
D

davetronic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you'd ease up and Google (or use the forum's search function), you'd find directions to do exactly what you're describing. Your frustration here is apparently being fed by your lack of searching.

I have accounts in several countries' app stores; I just googled the directions and followed them.

Android has its advantages (as I know with several Android devices), but so does iOS. It's just a matter of figuring out how to do things. If you lack patience to learn, then you might as well throw in the towel and move on.

Fair comment. But I have Googled and fell at every hurdle, every route I followed ended up with another reason I couldn't do what I want. I'm not saying its not possible, just so unwieldy compared to non-Apple stuff I don't understand why it has to be so devious. I don't think I'm stupid, I work with a crowd of guys and look after IT and complex control systems, most have given up with it. My son works for Apple, and he has struggled to sort it out........... But then we are not Geeks and can't spend forever trying to do things that should be simple. I love my iPad, but along with many, Apple seem to be deliberately over completing everything. Who really wants to do all this sync junk when you could just drag and drop? Not the guys whose sync we sort out at work, that's for sure.
I'll try again when I've a few hours to waste, but I won't buy a iTunes card just to get a free game!.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure this app is still available.

I've been trying to find it and have only found it through the AppShopper site and its telling me that it has been withdrawn from the App Store.

image-4136557730.jpg

Most reactions