What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why the junk camera?

ocfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get my hands on an iPad2 last Friday, and I am in love. I have had the original tablet from Apple, as well as Honeycomb powered Nook Color. The iPad2 is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else out there currently.

That being said, why on earth do you think Apple decided to put such garbage cameras in the device? Was it to keep costs down? I doubt it, consider an iPhone4 camera costs approximately $8.00. So why?

I love using the iMovie on my iPhone4 and would really like to give it a go on my iPad as well, but the video quality is just terrible.

Your thoughts?

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
probably to quickly satisfy the lack of any, and will upgrade on the next version giving another reason to spend money to upgrade

+1 Also, mainly for ichat. Even if they did upgrade the cameras that would not be a selling point. No Ipad "3" camera or Tablet camera can beat a dedicated camera or HD camcorder. The problem is that Jobs hyped up imovie. He should have never done that, now people think they are missing something or that the tablet is not performing up to its potential. Now, the Ipad will be graded on camera quality. I just hope the price doesn't jump because of this unwanted upgrade.

OP
O

ocfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if there would be any way to modify it, because you can purchase an iPhone4 camera replacement on eBay for about $10 US. I have my doubts about it fitting though.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if there would be any way to modify it, because you can purchase an iPhone4 camera replacement on eBay for about $10 US. I have my doubts about it fitting though.

Yeah, good luck removing the case. It is glued and "they" warn that you most likely will break it.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not a camera with which

you will take your vacation videos or stills. It is for iChat, nothing more, nothing less. You can always use your iPhone4's finer camera and bluetooth that to the iPad. Works like a charm. Better yet, consider using a real camera!

This is just a Q&D convenient way of letting people video teleconference.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yup. shoot all your footage off device, then transfer that footage back to device for imovie editing. as mentioned, the provided cameras are best for video chat and not much more.

Bootstrap Bill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if there would be any way to modify it, because you can purchase an iPhone4 camera replacement on for about $10 US. I have my doubts about it fitting though.

Yeah, good luck removing the case. It is glued and "they" warn that you most likely will break it.

This could be an opportunity for a third party to do upgrades. There was a company back in the early 80's that bought TRS-80 Model III computers, made massive changes to them and sold them under their own label. Can't remember the name though. Maybe someone could do the same with iPad 2's?

Most reactions