What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why separate iphone/ipad apps?

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's complete jackassery for developers to develop separate iPhone and iPad apps that function the same and charge people twice to get those apps on their devices. sure, I get it'll cut down on the executable size, but if it's just 7 MB difference who cares?

A separate app also makes it where you have to maintain 2 different apps for the different devices. Stupid.

Reaction score
In a sense I agree but having everything on my Ipad be iPhone sized takes away from some of my Ipad uses. I'm fine with most of them being iPhone sized and using the 2X button, but many of them, especially shopping ones, won't work in anything by portrait. That is fine for my phone but not for my Ipad.
I actually preferred my Tapatalk app better when it was a 2x version of the iPhone because the fonts were bigger.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

OP
GlenL

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
In a sense I agree but having everything on my Ipad be iPhone sized takes away from some of my Ipad uses. I'm fine with most of them being iPhone sized and using the 2X button, but many of them, especially shopping ones, won't work in anything by portrait. That is fine for my phone but not for my Ipad.
I actually preferred my Tapatalk app better when it was a 2x version of the iPhone because the fonts were bigger.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

The apps that I like are the ones that recognize if you have a iPad or iPhone and can run different code depending on your device. The app store puts a plus sign on those apps. For example, you only have to download iMovie, Yelp, Netflix, and Evernote once and it recognizes which device you have. You dont have to make it 2x size. The crappy apps will make you download different programs (usually with HD suffix), for example wunderlist, goodreader, and words with friends.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's complete jackassery for developers to develop separate iPhone and iPad apps that function the same and charge people twice to get those apps on their devices. sure, I get it'll cut down on the executable size, but if it's just 7 MB difference who cares?

A separate app also makes it where you have to maintain 2 different apps for the different devices. Stupid.

Now there's a word. Jackassery!

appzapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Glen,

if you take an existing iPhone app and want to do an iPad Version of it. There are two different approaches.
You make your app universal which is sometimes not that easy because you have to rewrite a lot of code.

I would say if you plan a new app from the beginning make it universal. But transforming an ipad app out of an iPhone app isnt that easy of an decision.

Most reactions

Latest posts