What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my iPad storage space filling up when transferring purchases to iTunes?

liveslashdie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Hopefully somebody can help.

I recently bought an iPad & it's been great, but I noticed when I was Transferring my purchases from my Pad to my Mac, my iPads disk space starting filling up under the 'Other' catagory.

Why is it doing it? Surely it shouldn't be putting anything on to my Pad?

Now my storage space is almost full, but I have nothing on my iPad that wasn't there before.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have any apps that sync 3rd party files between your iPad and computer?

Just check under each tab when you have your iPad plugged in to the computer and look for anything that is syncing.

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
liveslashdie said:
Hi there,

Hopefully somebody can help.

I recently bought an iPad & it's been great, but I noticed when I was Transferring my purchases from my Pad to my Mac, my iPads disk space starting filling up under the 'Other' catagory.

Why is it doing it? Surely it shouldn't be putting anything on to my Pad?

Now my storage space is almost full, but I have nothing on my iPad that wasn't there before.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Somewhere there in the iTunes sync window there is a check box that refers to only syncing your music on the iPad in a "128 bit" mode, or something similar. If you leave this box unchecked, iTunes syncs your music at whatever mode the original was laid down in.

Certainly checking this particular box and syncing reduces the take-up of available memory, without reducing the listening quality of the music on board.

I came across this when my good wife made the same complaint after syncing as you did.

I suggested she re-sync with the check box ticked, she then complained because it then took so long to complete the job, but she didn't complain about all the memory space she got back.

Hope this helps.

Why does everybody, except you and I, appear crazy?

Reaction score
The music does not appear under Other.

Things you can try:
-Settings->Safari->Reset History/Cache/Cookies
-Apparently photos & videos in the Camera Roll get listed under the Other category. Do you have many images/videos there?

Here is some more reading, though all it boils down to is one of the above, or restore the iPad:
http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97281

Most reactions

Latest posts