What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is iOS predictive text SO bad?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The two major problems I experience:

1. Suggestions are often not even words at all, or they aren’t even close to what I’ve type
  2. The right word will be show, but *just* as I try to select it, a different word will appear in its place, forcing me to delete and re-type. Then the correct word will appear but will stay put, allowing me to choose it.
What. The. Heck? Anyone else?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's gotten worse over the past few years, too. I just turn it off, as it makes more mistakes than my fingers.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok...so you just type the “old fashioned way”?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hadn’t realized predictive text was a problem.

I never remember to look at it when typing on the iPhone. On the iPad I‘m usually using the smart keyboard where my typing, though not terribly fast, is still faster than reach up to tap words from a list.

I have auto-correct off on both. I’d rather be laughed at for my real mistakes (which tend to look like mistakes) than be misunderstood for something I didn’t intend to say.

Most reactions

Latest posts