What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people prefer to take handwritten notes on ipad?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Writing with pen and paper has following advantages :)

It costs almost nothing to buy pen and paper. You can possibly get them free from your work or school.
Writing on paper with a pen is much faster than writing on touch screen devices either with a stylus or finger.
They will last longer than digital notes. Traditional handwritten notes last well beyond 20 years if preserved with sufficient care. But you never know when new technology will make your ddigital note obsolete any day. Also with paper notes you don't need to think about having same hardware and software when you need to amend them!
No one will steal your paper notes!
If you really need to digitise your notes, you can always scan them and get them into computer.
If you already have a tablet, then probablynit makes sense to type the note in the first place.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
20 years worth of hard copy against 20 years worth of digital.......just from a physical storage point of view and search functions for all those years worth of notes surely digital wins?

The Archangel

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL! Paper notes can get lost or misplaced - at least my shopping lists regularly do. Since I've started keeping my list on my iPad, I never find myself digging around in my purse or pocket searching for that missing list. My iPad goes with me on all shopping trips.

Ditto for my "to do" lists. Of course, that also means no more excuses. :)

As for written documentation, it's much easier to search digitally than thumb through pages. I remember when software (and hardware) came with nicely bound instructions. That went out the window a long time ago.

BTW, here in the US, most schools do not provide free paper

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL! Paper notes can get lost or misplaced - at least my shopping lists regularly do. Since I've started keeping my list on my iPad, I never find myself digging around in my purse or pocket searching for that missing list. My iPad goes with me on all shopping trips.

Ditto for my "to do" lists. Of course, that also means no more excuses. :)

As for written documentation, it's much easier to search digitally than thumb through pages. I remember when software (and hardware) came with nicely bound instructions. That went out the window a long time ago.

BTW, here in the US, most schools do not provide free paper

This works for me.:)

takeshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Writing with pen and paper has following advantages
Every option out there has pros and cons.

For me, the ease of organization and backups of digital notes far outweigh any benefits of pen and paper. Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPalm anyone? :p

Back in the years even with my old handheld device I was splitting between virtual notes and paper notes... I love paper you know? And music notation also is difficult to write on virtual devices. Well I can always whistle/sing and record.

Right now I carry with me at least one or two pens (always a pink ink one) and some big markers... hahaha (evil). But alas, also my iPad ready for longer texting.

MaciAWriter

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I continue to use a mix of both, depending on the needs: mostly digital notes in the office (easier to share them with team members and archiving on Sharepoint) but also handwritten notes and diagrams when those are more efficient.

(And being Agile, lots of photographs of handwritten notes/cards/butcher's paper.)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
Writing with pen and paper has following advantages :)

It costs almost nothing to buy pen and paper. You can possibly get them free from your work or school.
Writing on paper with a pen is much faster than writing on touch screen devices either with a stylus or finger.
They will last longer than digital notes. Traditional handwritten notes last well beyond 20 years if preserved with sufficient care. But you never know when new technology will make your ddigital note obsolete any day. Also with paper notes you don't need to think about having same hardware and software when you need to amend them!
No one will steal your paper notes!
If you really need to digitise your notes, you can always scan them and get them into computer.
If you already have a tablet, then probablynit makes sense to type the note in the first place.

I beg to differ. :)
-it costs nothing but the 2¢ to charge the iPad to take notes. Paper; $1 from walmart for a stack of 100 sheets. +tax, +gas to get to walmart.
-I am faster on the virtual keyboard than a regular one, same with writing. I use Notetaker (app store) to take notes. The edit 2 feature allows me to take more notes on one sheet because it shrinks down my text.
-paper gets lost, torn, spilled on, and overall old. digital will last forever. As for obsolete, I back up my notes daily to Dropbox as a PDF. PDFs have been around for a while and are very flexible and compatible. They aren't going away for a long time.
-no one can steal Dropbox. :D
-why waste your time writing the notes and then scanning them? Just do it on the ipad.

That's what I think. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer to write notes on paper, but only because my writing on iPad looks like a little kid's. If it didn't look like crud, I'd prefer to have everything on iPad, because it's nice and contained -- no scraps, no losing or misplacing stuff, because my notes would synch and I could email them to others. The cost difference is negligible to me.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oldschool alwaz wins! Dont make day to day life digital as well!
Like Bruce willis says in Die hard 4.. I may not be as techy as you all...but still alive huh! (beats their asd!) :p

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:

I'd forgotten that argument.......now I'm off to make fire from two sticks to warm up my cold and damp cave.........

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:

I'd forgotten that argument.......now I'm off to make fire from two sticks to warm up my cold and damp cave.........

The Archangel

It would help if you had some paper for kindling.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So to those of you who handwrite notes on iPad: Did your writing start off looking like a stroke patient's and get better with practice? Was it just practice, or did some great stylus do the trick? I'm at the stroke patient stage.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
So to those of you who handwrite notes on iPad: Did your writing start off looking like a stroke patient's and get better with practice? Was it just practice, or did some great stylus do the trick? I'm at the stroke patient stage.

I'm with you so I'm looking to get a stylus.......I can type notes quite quickly though even using the virtual keyboard.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts